Connect with us

Colour systems

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by jhayar25, May 4, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. jhayar25

jhayar25

Mar 28, 2012
    in some televesion i found in im wondering what is the main purpose of colr system like SECAM,PAL,PALM,PALN,NTSC ..PLS HELP

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    The main purpose is to encode colour information on the signal used to transmit the picture. In at least some of these the colour (chroma) is split from the black and white signal (brightness information -- luminance) so that B&W televisions could continue to work once the colour system had been introduced.

You have listed 3 versions of PAL there, and they work as described above. I think NTSC (never twice the same colour) was similar, but I'm not sure about SECAM (Something essentially contrary to the American method).

Don't quote my expansion of those abbreviations.

edit: I also note that not content with removing the U from colour, you are now removing an O as well. :D

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  3. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    BTW with new HD content the NTSC, SECAM and PAL is mostly just a lazy or ignorant way to describe different frame rates... HD content should be ITU-R BT.709 standardized across the globe now, so no difference in the color space...

4. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    gosh that saying is almost older than me ;)

D

5. timothy48342

timothy48342

Nov 28, 2011
    So, in that same vein, what does PAL stand for, prehistoric and lame?

6. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Peace at last...

Ask a Question