Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Color Organ, Single Channel, Line Input, Automotive

NewKindOfClown

Jan 23, 2015
Hello, all.

I'm looking for a color organ for my vehicle. I'll be running a total of 5m (16.4ft) of single-color LED strips, with approximately 15ft of wiring, for a total run of approximately 30ft. I'd like to wire them to a color organ so the lights flash with the stereo's bass notes. To do this, I will use the Pass-Through RCAs on my amplifier with an RCA -> 3.5mm adapter cable. The LED strips are rated to draw 4500mA at full power.

I have tested my theory with an Oznium "Music Beat LED Controller," a 9V battery, and a small light strip. It works as intended when hooked up to my amplifier, but the Oznium device has a "feature" I don't like. It randomly switches between two modes: One is Lights OFF, flash ON with input; the other is Lights ON, flash OFF with input. This repeated reversal creates a haphazard light show which appears random, and it defeats the purpose in my application. I have confirmed with Oznium that it cannot be changed, so I'm looking for something else.

What I'm looking for:
Single channel organ
12-24VDC
Sustain 4500mA draw (larger capability would be nice for future use)
3.5mm line level input
Default: Lights off
With signal: Flash lights at varying intensity based on input

I have a few questions:
1) Is there something like this on the market? I'm only seeing DIY kits (usually with microphone input) and $150+ units.
2a) Would the ~30ft run cause a noticeable delay at one end, or will all lights appear to flash simultaneously?
2b) For synchronicity, would it be better to use two pairs of wires out of the organ and power half the lights with each one?
3a) Is it within the site rules for me to offer to pay someone to build this?
3b) If yes to 3a, is this thread okay? Or should I post in the Sale/Wanted section?

I don't currently have knowledge, experience, tools, or space to build this myself. A workbench is first on the list when I buy a home later this year! I'd be happy to provide any other information that may assist you fine folks in helping me.

Thank you,
- Tim

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Easily done. I think we need to make a project page for this type of project.
There are details here. Read it over and let us know if you have any questions.

1) Unsure if this is on the market, but you can DIY for a few $.
2a) 30 ft would have no noticeable delay. There would however be a delay of 30nS which is ... well, way too small to ever notice. (
)
2b) Your call, won't make a difference.
3a) I have not seen anything forbidding it, but this is between you and whomever is willing to build it for you. Most users are here to provide information only and not services.
3b) Perhaps the guy building his will build a second one for you ;)

NewKindOfClown

Jan 23, 2015
Thank you kindly for your swift reply. That video is outstanding, and I can certainly appreciate it since I perform IT work in the army.
I'll look around the site and see what I can find.

If anyone sees this thread and would consider assembling something for a fee, please feel at liberty to post up.