Connect with us

Coilgun

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Soundwave72, Jun 30, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Soundwave72

Soundwave72

Jun 30, 2013
    I am currently in the process of assembling a coil gun and i am having difficulty with making the electromagnet whereas i have already have a pipe and wrapped a 26 gauge wire around three inches of it with three and a half windings. I am also powering it with a 9 volt battery but it does not seem to produce any magnetic fields, also i would like help after this stage.

2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    hi there
    welcome to the forums :)

3 and a 1/2 windings ? as in 3 and a 1/2 turns around the pipe ?

if thats so, then no wonder you are not seening any magnetic field. It will be there but incredibly low level
    try 300 or more turns and see how you go and something much more significant than a tiny 9 V battery
    you want something capable of at least 12V and 3 to 5 Amps so a 12V 7 A/h sealed lead acid for example

Try that and see how you get on :)

Dave

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  3. Soundwave72

Soundwave72

Jun 30, 2013
    So how would i go about wrapping it like is there a technique without like the wire sliding between each other?

Ask a Question