Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Coil Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

GimmieFuzz79

Jun 24, 2017
Hello All,

Long time reader, first time caller and I come bearing a not so easy question...

I have recently inherited a machine capable of winding coils. Figuring it may be time for a hobby, I decided I'd give building my own set of single coils a shot. Here's the problem I keep running into: With the examples I have (from my own vintage sets to modern replacements) there is very little to no evidence in support of readily available techniques. In short, lots of misinformation in a burlap sack steeped in non-GMO, gluten-free, free range herbal snake oil tea. Also available in decaf.

Due to this revelation I began looking elsewhere. After weeks of studies in other coiled constructs, I can see there is a procedure with steps but no help in applying said procedures and steps. Would anyone happen to have some information they could point me towards or suggestions for application?

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
What level are you looking for? A design from the ground up, or reviving the present machine system?.
M.

GimmieFuzz79

Jun 24, 2017
Minder,
If you mean level of expertise than beginner but have handled the materials plenty. The design is from the ground up but from all I've seen it reads something closer to procedural. As for "reviving the present machine system"...you have me a bit lost there. Please explain?

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
. As for "reviving the present machine system"...you have me a bit lost there. Please explain?
You say you have a machine capable of it, is it set up for winding now or are you thinking of designing a new system entirely?
M.

GimmieFuzz79

Jun 24, 2017
You say you have a machine capable of it, is it set up for winding now or are you thinking of designing a new system entirely?
M.
The machine is up and running well. A few testers have been made and though functional they aren't exactly efficient. Currently decoding Dukes suggestion (Thanks again!) and will give that a shot shortly. Using a coil estimator has given me some idea towards a direction but the ratio seems a bit high at the moment.
Thank you for your help Minder!

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
I am having a lot of trouble understanding what you are asking about.

You say you have "made some testers." I assume this means you have wound some coils using the machine. You say they are functional, but not efficient. What does "efficient" mean here? What is it you are trying to improve?

Bob

GimmieFuzz79

Jun 24, 2017
I am having a lot of trouble understanding what you are asking about.

You say you have "made some testers." I assume this means you have wound some coils using the machine. You say they are functional, but not efficient. What does "efficient" mean here? What is it you are trying to improve?

Bob

Hello Bob,

Part of the issue on my side is being able to communicate the issues correctly. Yes, I've built several sets and they were fun to create but now I would like to build something that functions correctly. That being said, errors in a traditional build would be far easier to correct than just "Spreadin' it on there like a Son-of-a-Litz!"

Thank you Bob

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Hello Bob,

Part of the issue on my side is being able to communicate the issues correctly.
That is for sure!
Yes, I've built several sets
sets of what?
and they were fun to create but now I would like to build something that functions correctly.
In what way are they functioning incorrectly? It is hard to imagine a coil that is functioning incorrectly. Perhaps the inductance is wrong, or the resistance is too high, but what do you mean by functioning incorrectly?
That being said, errors in a traditional build would be far easier to correct than just "Spreadin' it on there like a Son-of-a-Litz!"
????
Thank you Bob

Bob

GimmieFuzz79

Jun 24, 2017
Bob,

Thank you for your time and understanding on this one Bob as I'm still learning how to ask the right questions correctly.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
One option would be to tell us what the thing which uses the coils is, what it is supposed to do, and then how it comes up short with your coils.

For example:. The finite improbability generator is supposed to create finite amounts of improbability, but with these coils all I get is average probability, no matter how effective the entropy source is.

GimmieFuzz79

Jun 24, 2017
One option would be to tell us what the thing which uses the coils is, what it is supposed to do, and then how it comes up short with your coils.

For example:. The finite improbability generator is supposed to create finite amounts of improbability, but with these coils all I get is average probability, no matter how effective the entropy source is.

Hello Steve and Thank you.

These are guitar pickups.

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Ok, so what should they be doing, and what are they doing?

GimmieFuzz79

Jun 24, 2017
Ok, so what should they be doing, and what are they doing?
Therein lies the problem: If I had built something following a roughly set procedure then any misstep could be corrected. Since I followed the readily available, modern "applied at random" style of winding techniques it's harder to judge the performance due to it's case by case nature and the fact that it has been built "at random." Then this also becomes an issue of personal taste and before that rabbit hole is breached; these responses have given me some new areas to try.

Thank you for your patience and more informed questions will be asked shortly.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
Can you post any pic of the existing machine and/or its operation?
M.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
If you can't identify a difference in behavior between a working unit and your unit then there's not much we can do.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
If you can't identify a difference in behavior between a working unit and your unit then there's not much we can do.

agreed

I'm closing this thread because it has staggered all over the place like a drunk on his way home from the pub
and neither are going anywhere productive

@GimmieFuzz79
you are welcome to start a new thread BUT state clearly in the opening post exactly what you are doing, what you are trying to achieve
any photos of your "coil" constructions etc
Give us ALL the information so that we can better answer any questions you may ask

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.