Connect with us

Cobra 2000 inverter

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by stonefly, Mar 22, 2015.

1. stonefly

stonefly

Mar 22, 2015
    I inadvertently hooked the battery wires backwards on an old Cobra 2000 that I've had for 15 years and which has always worked like a champ. I'm feeling pretty low right now. After the big spark my hope was that letting it sit for a while would reset it. Nopers. Also, the switch was on at the time.

My question is this: What component is the most likely to have burned out? A bunch of them? Did I likely cook the entire unit?

I've been using heavy jumper cable wire with ends soldered on. When I split the cables, the blue rubber from the positive cable peeled off onto the negative cable, exposing the positive copper wire, so I taped the blue positive cable with black electrical tape. When I hooked it up, I saw only the blue on the negative cable and the black on the positive cable and in that instant of confusion I ruined an excellent piece of equipment. I forgive myself, it was easy to make the mistake, but it doesn't make me feel better. The only thing that will make me feel better is if somebody can tell me that all is not lost and point me to the component that needs to be replaced, if there is a chance the machine can be repaired.

I am experienced in the repair of electric circuits, but I do not have a schematic for the inverter, nor familiarity with the circuitry. Many years ago I worked on color TVs, when they were tube type. I've done bench work on closed circuit TV monitors and cameras, tube and solid state, guitar amps, etc.... so I'm not completely illiterate in circuit repair.

2. stonefly

stonefly

Mar 22, 2015
    I opened it up and found all 8 30 amp fuses blown.

I need to get to auto parts and get more.

Maybe that's all that's wrong.

3. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    You may be lucky.

If not you may have quite a search ahead of you.

Actually, there is also the possibility of protection devices which may have gone short circuit while blowing the fuses. I would recommend replacing the fuses with lower rated fuses at first to minimize the chance of doing further damage. Maybe start with 5A fuses. If they blow start looking for faults.

4. stonefly

stonefly

Mar 22, 2015
    Will do. Thanks.

Ask a Question