Maker Pro
Maker Pro

CNC idea.

shaped

Apr 7, 2012
After looking into many PIC projects i think i am on the correct path!.

I build CNC machines and what i would like to do is have a digital readout of where each axis is. If the xy or z axis moves 200mm in 1 direction i would like to have the readout tell me it has moved 200mm.
It needs to measure distance moved.

Has anyone seen a project out there that would suit my needs.

I have just started to get back into electronics after 15 years off and all my experience has been with RF circuts so im a little lost with digital readouts. So my next question is, Would this PIC programmer from Maplins be good enough for my needs.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/pic-programmer-48074

Thanks.

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
for that price you could just buy a pickit2/3 from microchip. The programmer/debugger is still just one part. You still need to buy a pic that is capable of doing what you need.

shaped

Apr 7, 2012
I went down the PIC path.

I purchased the above programmer and have up to yet, built a circuit that counts in increments of 1 and displays it using a PIC 16F627 and a HD44780 lcd.

The circuit was not my work i found the counter project on http://pelnet.co.uk/elect/projects/lcdcounter_627.htm , all i did was design a PCB for it, etch it and upload the .hex file to the pic and off it went.

Sadly the source code is not availible so im unable to look , learn and modify it to my needs.

I know im on the correct path, but i have now goto learn a whole new programming lanuage.

ctrlfreak

Jun 20, 2012
I build CNC machines and what i would like to do is have a digital readout of where each axis is. If the xy or z axis moves 200mm in 1 direction i would like to have the readout tell me it has moved 200mm.
It needs to measure distance moved.

If you use stepmotors for your project then you might be able to get an accurate distance measurement because you will know how many steps the motor has moved and by multiplying the number of steps by the distance of one step. Which you can find.