Connect with us

Clueless to read capacitor._.

Discussion in 'Sensors and Actuators' started by Darth Chauncey, Mar 14, 2021.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Darth Chauncey

Darth Chauncey

Mar 14, 2021
    I'm a newb and not even sure if I am posting correctly, being I am asking a question - but here goes. I purchased a brand new Mobo and upon installing it, my clumsy ass knocked off a capacitor before even getting to USE it! I have searched and hunted for a replacement but to no avail. I could solder it on easily enough althoughI cant understand how to read it so I dont even know what Im looking for.
    It says on top;
    FP5K
    33Cx
    as far as I can tell. Can anyone tell me where I might get one or something equivalent? H E L L L P!

2. bertus

bertus Moderator

Nov 8, 2019
    Hello,

Can you post a picture?
    Pictures upto 300 kB are no problem to post.
    It could wll be an 820 pF capacitor.

Bertus

3. Darth Chauncey

Darth Chauncey

Mar 14, 2021
    Yeah, I gotta charge up my camera. Thank you SOO much for helping. Much appreciated

4. Hunter64

Hunter64

Nov 20, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
    bertus likes this.
  5. Darth Chauncey

Darth Chauncey

Mar 14, 2021
    315438E0-839C-4417-B93E-148869D8924C.jpeg Here is the capacitor

6. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    According to the datasheet @Hunter64 linked in post #4 this would be a 820 µF capacitor.
    A bit funny is the voltage designator "03" as there is no 3 V capacitor in the datasheet. It is possibly rounded off for a 2.5 V capacitor. Would that match the operating voltage present on the capacitor's pins?

bertus likes this.
  7. hevans1944

hevans1944 Hop - AC8NS

Jun 21, 2012
    Just guessing, but the self-described newb may not have a clue (or the multimeter) required to measure the voltage drop across the capacitor pins, assuming the damaged cap can be successfully removed from the multi-layer circuit board and a replacement soldered in without damaging the circuit board. I would take the mobo to a computer repair shop and have a skilled technician replace the capacitor.

8. bertus

bertus Moderator

Nov 8, 2019
    Hello,

The datasheet that @Hunter64 posted shows that there are 6.3 volts capacitors of 820 uF are available.

Bertus

9. hevans1944

hevans1944 Hop - AC8NS

Jun 21, 2012
    The datasheet does say voltages from 2.5 to 25 volts are available, so perhaps 03 really does mean 3 volts.

Since the OP is a self-described newb, it might be better if he took the mobo to a computer service shop to have the electrolytic capacitor removed and replaced. It is easy to damage the vias of a multilayer circuit board while attempting to unsolder and remove defective parts. This is definitely a skilled operation not easily learned or implemented without a vacuum de-soldering station.

10. Darth Chauncey

Darth Chauncey

Mar 14, 2021
    Well Im pretty good with a soldering iron and the capacitor popped off leaving the leads in the board, making it much easier to solder.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2021
  11. Darth Chauncey

Darth Chauncey

Mar 14, 2021
    Hi again, if anyones listening. Sorry bout my apparent disinterest - which it isnt, instead being busy trying to fix said mobo. I ordered an identical new one and now all I get is boot loop! Lights up, leds on, fans spin.._ and shuts off just to rinse and repeat over and over. Very discouraged. Im thinking maybe my cpu? Power supply?? DMMS??? I dont know what to think but it sure is wearing me down. How can I determine the problem without even seeing 1 single post?

12. Darth Chauncey

Darth Chauncey

Mar 14, 2021
    Icould post a vid of it if it would help...

13. Darth Chauncey

Darth Chauncey

Mar 14, 2021
    Thank you so much for your response. It is honestly appreciated and indeed will be utilized, hopefully correctly! I will place no blame, unless I achieve a successful fix. Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
Ask a Question