Connect with us

Clock Project

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by RickBigsby, Feb 16, 2012.

1. RickBigsby

RickBigsby

Feb 16, 2012
    Hey guys,

I have a clock project I have been working on for a while.
    A little background on it — It's an old wall clock that needs a driver unit. Just something that electronically increments the minute hand. So far I have taken apart and embedded a smaller clock within. The small clock has a tiny magnet attached to the second hand that passes over a reed switch once a minute. The reed switch completes the circuit, activates a solenoid and increments the hand. Works like a charm.

Only problem is the magnet passes very slowly over the switch and it causes the solenoid pulse to be around 2 seconds wasting the battery quickly. I was wondering if there was a small circuit that could, say, charge a capacitor for most of the minute, and regardless of how long the trigger is open it would only pulse for a short time.

Or maybe just what that circuit is called. Thanks guys.
    Dave

2. twister

twister

Feb 12, 2012
    Take the signal from the switch and send it to a 555 set up as a monostable oscillator. You can adjust the on time to whatever you desire.

3. twister

twister

Feb 12, 2012
Ask a Question