Connect with us

clock charing usb devices

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by James Matheson, May 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Scroll to continue with content
  1. James Matheson

James Matheson

May 30, 2016
    Hi I need this made it is a wind up clock charging usb devices continuously here

https://goo.gl/photos/qv7XpVK3FPpcRRPZ6

i really need this for my electronic projects, i cant find anyone who is professional anywhere in

all of canada i hope someone can have this made

2. Alec_t

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
    Welcome to EP!
    I doubt the clock wind-up mechanism stores enough energy to do much charging :(.
    According to Wikipedia, "adults of good average fitness average between 50 and 150 watts for an hour of vigorous exercise." Clock-winding is hardly a vigorous pursuit, so assuming you can wind up the clock in 20 seconds, at most you will likely have stored 50/180 = 0.28 Watt.Hrs of energy in the clock spring. Allowing for inefficiencies in the charging process you are left with ~ 0.2 Watt.Hrs. A cell-phone battery typically holds ~10 Watt.Hrs when fully charged.

3. Gryd3

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
    I had to link this... it's just too (almost) related .
    >

Lots of energy from motion is not an easy task...

4. James Matheson

James Matheson

May 30, 2016
    i don't want to insult you so I wont answer but in response if you don't like what I write then don't reply to me

5. Gryd3

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
    Other's on here aren't so tight lipped.
    What about Alec_T's post screamed "I don't like your post" ?
    We don't mean to insult anyone on here even when they ask question pertaining to projects that are way too far outside of their current understanding of how electronics work. We donate our time to helping people even when they seem helpless and ignorant. I've also seen some incredible patients shown towards people who don't read the responses or listen to the advice given. Hopefully you are not one of these people.

Before you damage yourself, how about you share some details on how you want it to work, how much energy you wish to store, and what kind of budget you have in mind for your project.
    We have very knowledgeable people from all over the world.

Harald Kapp likes this.
  6. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    Did you look at that video? He produced 21 Watt Hours of energy over about 2 minutes to toast that piece of bread.

How much does it take to charge a typical cell phone?

1A at 5V = 5W for about 2 hours, so 10 Watt Hours.

That is about half of what the cyclist produced. If winding your clock takes 1/2 as much effort as the cyclist in the video put out, then you are in the right range to charge a cell phone. If it is nowhere near that, like Alec_t suggested, then you have nowhere near enough energy stored in the clock spring, as he said.

He did not insult you, he merely pointed out, correctly, that your project is not feasible.

Bob

Last edited: May 31, 2016
    Alec_t likes this.
  7. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    thread closed
    really bad attitude

@James Matheson

when you get an attitude adjustment, please start another thread

Dave

Ask a Question