Connect with us

Cleaning robot

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Guiton, Jan 5, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Guiton

Guiton

Jan 5, 2013
    Hello,

I've to do a project for my exam, I need to do a cleaning robot so i want to ask you what kind of modules or composants that I will need to produce this project.

We have already the specifications of the robot :
    - The robot must be autonomous so it will be powered by batteries.
    - The robot must be piloted by GPS so with beacons or something ...
    - The robot must be checking by an IP camera or IR camera.
    - The robot must be controlled by a remote control or a computer.

We already have the IP camera and a Zigbee module
    What kind of composants or modules we will need to buy to product a prototype of this robot ?

Sorry for my bad english ...

2. tedstruk

tedstruk

Jan 7, 2012
    composants....

1.sensor arrays, are best. They handle lots of input from many different sources of sensor.
    2.a physical delivery system for the debris and trash you clean and dispose of.
    3.A motivation system that eats only as much power is as nessesary to keep it going.
    4.some real dedicated cpus, chips sets and port junkies.
    5.in 5 years, most engineers give up on building one
    6.a good, rich, investment firm, thats not afraid of test equipment.
    7.a module builder, I think you are going to want specialized modules, designed for your robot only.

3. Guiton

Guiton

Jan 5, 2013
    Thank you for the fast reply. i think the cleaning part is not needful for the moment,
    i just would like to have a kind of bill (or some tracks) to build a rebot that i can control by a computer (or remote) and that he kind also be autonomous (energy, position...)
    for the moment i have this :

for the control part : A Zigbee module (but i don't know if it's enought cuz with a only a zigbee...) i have also a Microcontroller Development Tools (ECIO40)

for the GPS and position : i have nothings for the moment but i'll bought some sensors but for the GPS part i don't know...)

for the autonomous i've got batteries i think it will be ok but if you have more idea...
    and finally for the the image i got a Camera IP)

i would like to know if it's enought to build that ? or if i need somethings else. I gave up for the cleaning part...

thank you in advance !

4. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    you do know GPS doesnt work indoors ?

Dave

5. Guiton

Guiton

Jan 5, 2013
    Yes of course i do ! but as i said above i gave up for the cleaning part so i can use my robot outdoors.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  6. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    ahhh but you hadnt mentioned outdoors till now ;)

cheers
    Dave

7. Guiton

Guiton

Jan 5, 2013
    I'm sorry about that =) but what kind of gps can i bought ?

8. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    maybe look atthe GPS receive systems used in mobile phones as they can output data and display location on a map

Dave

9. Guiton

Guiton

Jan 5, 2013
    Yes but could it works on a computer ? if yes how ? i don't really know how i can connect my computer with my GPS and the IP camera and the Zigbee

Is a Zigbee and a Microcontroller Development Tools (ECIO40) is enought for this ?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  10. donkey

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
    guiton hi and welcome to the forums.
    there is a few options here but all of it requires a practical knowledge on programming.
    the IP camera can be bought online without an issue.
    GPS modules are all over the place, depending on your requirements
    connectivity to a computer would best be through wifi.

so here comes the fun part, an Iphone has all 3 of these in 1. or you could arduino/picduino (or just microcontroller) these parts. or you could raspberry pi the little robot, or take an old computer and hook it up to arduino.... the list is endless, but what do you want it to actually do?

first you say it has to be autonomous then point 4 says you have to control it. that is contradictory. however it is possible to do both.
    you need gps.... there are hundreds of ways to locate an item and if it is within a standard house gps would be my last option. but if your heart is set on this then we can find a way
    IP camera or IR camera. is this so you can view it or so it can "see"?

anyway the vast majority of hardware can be gotten from the net, setup time maybe 2-3 days...... the programming is the part that would stop me but it would make an excellent excercise.

best of luck and hope to hear from you soon

11. Guiton

Guiton

Jan 5, 2013
    Well for the autonomous, it's in Energy (so with batteries ^^)

what I want to do with the robot is that he can be for exemple in my garden and i can control it from my computer for exemple and i can see what the robot see with the IP camera that's why i want it to be autonomous in energy but i've already the batteries so this point is okey

I'm stuck for the link between the IP camera and the Zigbee to my computer and if i need somethings else what ? and the GPS for exemple if i have a map of my garden i can see the robot on it

12. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    standard precision GPS that is readily available to the public is ~ 10 metre accuracy
    so you figure that into the size of your garden/yard area
    so for an avg back yard, you would know its in the area but not where in that area

GPS systems I work with for mining and road construction industry have an accuracy down to ~ 5 mm ... they cost 10's of 1000's of $$

Dave

13. donkey

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
    you could use wifi for most of this. once again though its all programming.
    as for hooking up the camera to your computer it seriously depends on A) your robot configuration and B) your IP camera.
    take for example the IP cameras I use at work, they hook up to a router (wired) than to a secured wifi extender (which I still love showing the bosses how easily thet can be hacked) we have 5 cameras in one router. admittedly there is a little problem but that is because they use a standard 2.4ghz frequency which most people have on their phones and we get ALOT of customers.
    however in your back yard this may work better. also if you use a localised positining system then you might be able to find it easier. you need to make 3 transmitters in your yard, the NRF24 series are ultra low power so you could possibly just rework a few garden lights to power them. they transmit a certain code (just for fun put a clock on them and have it transmit the time) then your robot recieves the data (time) and with its own in built clock set exactly to match theirs it will calculate how many milliseconds it took to recieve that data giving you a rough guide on distance from the transmitter. on your computer you can plot these distance using circles and where the circle all intersect you should find your robot.
    now the thing is the nrf24 series states 100metres but I would cut that down by half at least, even more if you have obstructions and then also factor in any neighbours that have cordless phones, wifi etc. and yes the more of these transmitting the time the more accurate they are likely to be, as the more circles you will get.

depedning on the size of you yard gps may be complete overkill and your battery supply will be drained really quickly.
    wifi is a good idea but once again battery and it may interfere with the tracking system I have outlined for you, if so use a 433mhz transciever instead.

14. Guiton

Guiton

Jan 5, 2013
    and is that possible if for exemple i put some beacon on my garden en the robots follow those ?

15. donkey

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
    depending on what you want your robot to do then yes.
    if you want it to mow the lawn then a transcieverwill be your best bet.
    if you want a wirless camera to "patrol" the yard then you can put "rails" around your fenceline and it will be like a model train but with a camera.

16. Guiton

Guiton

Jan 5, 2013
    haha i want both :D

Ask a Question