Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Clap clap switch

neba3939

Mar 15, 2012
Hi everyone, i am trying to build my own clap switch..
i found this schematic on Google and i liked it.
But i believe this schematics works only with a single clap.
what do i have to do to make it double clap switch(clap- clap ON, clap clap OFF)

thank you for your time..

Attachments

• 220V clap switch.png
    220V clap switch.png
    28.5 KB · Views: 2,962

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
That circuit looks to me to be one clap for on and the next clap for off. If you want it to respond to a double clap then a considerable amount of extra circuitry will be required and you will have to define what a double clap is.

neba3939

Mar 15, 2012
can you help me setup the extra circuitry... and the defining of "double clap"

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
My definition of double clap would be a single clap. In that case the circuit works as it is.

Alternatively, a double clap is two claps. This circuit with an additional divide by 2 on the output would suffice.

Note that I don't think either of these definitions would make you happy.

You probably mean a double clap is two claps more than a certain time apart, and less than another time apart. Now things get more complex...

You could do it with a microcontroller (in addition to parts of what you have in your circuit above, but with very significant changes). If you've never written any software, that route may be quite tricky too.

There's lots of variables and we really can't define things for you.

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
It is up to you to define what a double clap is, I would suggest that it is a double clap if the second clap arrives within a second of the first clap.

I do not have the time to design a circuit, you need to generate a block diagram to define what you want to do and then design circuitry to make each block work.
CMOS chips would be easier than transistor circuits.

A lot of peple here would do this with a microcomputer but I am not into that technology.

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
A lot of peple here would do this with a microcomputer

Yep, I would do it with a micro, but has been said you need to be familiar and capable of writing the firmware to do what you want or else it's a useless option... A simple adjustable threshold sound detection circuit interfaced to a micro and you are good to go...

neba3939

Mar 15, 2012
first of all i would like to thank everyone who answered my questions...
the thing is, i never wrote any program or firmware before..
i dont even know how to write them..
so i would really be happy if someone could show me.. if know can you suggest a book or anything that can teach me how to write the program.
thank you

steinklatre

Nov 29, 2011
neba take a look at the Arduino Uno board. Its a pretty straight forward easy access micro and I have had a lot of luck learning on it.

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
what do i have to do to make it double clap switch(clap- clap ON, clap clap OFF)

By this definition, including Steve's comments about time between claps, I think we can do this by rectifying the mic audio and adding an RC time constant to the base of the mic amplifier transistor. The cap would have to receive another clap within X period of time to produce enough forward bias to turn the transistor on.

Chris