Connect with us

Clairon car stereo

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by brian99619, Aug 8, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. brian99619

brian99619

Aug 8, 2013
    I have a clarion sd car sterio my ploblem is that my speakers shorted out in the door now there is no sound coming from speaker wires but do work through the audio jacks via car amplifier thanks for any help

2. dh390

dh390

Jul 30, 2013
    Two things.

Do you still have no sound from the speaker output leads once you un-shorted the wires from ground?

If you still have no speaker output from the speaker leads once the short(s) have been removed then your output IC in the stereo head unit is blown.

A lot of car stereos have what is called BTL type output that can not have any of the speaker leads shorted to ground. That said some output IC's have better protections than others that would protect the IC from damage when the output is shorted for a short time. But others once shorted they are toast.

Double check with the leads unshorted & if you still have no sound then you will have to pull the radio & pop off the cover to locate the the output IC. It will be mounted to the chassis or a large aluminum heat sink. You will probably have to unscrew a mounting bracket on the IC that keeps it pressed against the heat sink for proper cooling so you can read the part # on the IC. Then you can look up that part, get pricing & availability. Don't remove the old IC till you get the new one & find it is correct. Once you know it is correct then you should cut the leads on the blown IC to make it easier to remove without damaging the pc board.

Hope this helps.

If you are not sure take pics, post them & ask questions.

3. brian99619

brian99619

Aug 8, 2013
    thanks so much.. I know what to look for now

4. KrisBlueNZ

KrisBlueNZ Sadly passed away in 2015

Nov 28, 2011
    Good advice, dh390.

Ask a Question