Maker Pro
Maker Pro

CircuitMaker 2000: Any users here?

terrypin

Jan 4, 2016
Hi, first post here for many years, after recently returning to my electronics hobby. I use CircuitMaker 2000 for schematics and simulation on my PC under XP Pro.

I have a few problems and am looking for a forum to seek help on them. Are there any users here please?

If so, my most immediate problem is what seems an annoying bug. However, I don't recall this from my previous use, so hopefully there's either a workaround or some patch or hack that I've forgotten. The problem is that if I enable the very handy option Quick Connect, CM crashes as soon as I do almost anything, such as use Move or Duplicate, etc. So I've had to ensure that option is never enabled, which means wiring up is not so easy.

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Hi Terry,
Maybe it's time to upgrade to the FREE LTspice software.
It looks very similar so wont have a big learning curve. You'll also get a lot of help here too.
Plus in the resource section of this site, it's got lots of help tutorials.
Just a thought..

Martin

terrypin

Jan 4, 2016
Thanks Martin. That remains an option I'll explore, but if at all possible I'm very keen to stick with my old version of CM, as I'm so familiar with it. There's also the latest, free, 'community' version of Atrium CircuitMaker I was considering (on the assumption that it might still be similar in principle to mine), but the idea of sharing all my amateur stuff with the World puts me off!

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
@terrypin I still run XP Pro, but that's because I am lazy, not because I don't have other computers running more modern operating systems. You should upgrade your computer and download the latest version of Circuitmaker 2000. Or do as Martin said and switch to LTSpice which runs okay on my XP Pro. I've attached the specs required to run Circuitmaker 2000 and it looks like XP Pro is no longer supported with the latest release. I may download it anyway to this XP Pro just out of curiosity to see if I can duplicate your "bug". It looks like a really spiffy program... and free is always good.

Attachments

• System Requirements _ Online Documentation for Altium Products.pdf
    43.5 KB · Views: 215

terrypin

Jan 4, 2016
Thanks. That's not CM 2000. It's the latest release I mentioned (about 15 years later). But its lack of support for XP that you've highlighted is another reason for my not considering it.

I would think free downloadable versions of CM 2000 are still around if you're curious.

--

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
I've used it with XP pro for many years without a problem.
Loaded it up on my current Window 7 and it works ok for over 3 years now.
When I use the accompanying Traxmaker, it refuses to save every now and then if I leave it too long between "saves".

Googled " win xp circuit maker 2000" and it came back with a couple of student versions.
Maybe you need to re-load the program or somethings gone missing in your XP.?

CCurmudgeon

Aug 25, 2010
I use CM 6.2c pro, I don't know how that is different from CM 2000. But I have no problems with quick connect.

terrypin

Jan 4, 2016
Thanks both. Bizarrely It seems that this problem with Quick Connect occurs with some circuits and not others. So far I've not been able to establish anything that distinguishes these two. It's not component related because if I delete everything and then add say a single resistor, the problem remains - as soon as I try to Move or Duplicate that resistor, CM crashes. I've become quite fast at enabling and disabling the Quick Connect option when I'm working on a circuit that exhibits the issue, but I'd very much like to establish the cause and fix it. Logging out of Windows and back in again doesn't help, nor changing file names. It's as if the file has become corrupted, but I haven't a clue how.

BTW, I'm not sure of the difference between CM 6 and CM 2000 either. I've used both and as far as I recall they're very similar.

--

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Have you tried it on another pc..?

Does the pc support the program requirements..?

terrypin

Jan 4, 2016
Have you tried it on another pc..?
Yes, the ancient PC in my shed/workshop, which runs under XP Home. Exactly the same problem with those particular circuits.

(Both PC specs meet the requirements.)

I've uploaded an example CKT file consisting of just a single resistor, which I made by deleting all the components in one of the problem circuits and then adding the resistor. As soon as I use Move to move it, it crashes and CM closes. After opening it again and unchecking Quick Connect, I can use Move with no problem.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4019461/QuickConnectProblem.ckt

I'd be interested to see if you or any other CM user gets the same behaviour please. A puzzle that has me baffled!

--