Connect with us

Circuit Operation help

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Mahmoud Arwani, Apr 20, 2016.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Mahmoud Arwani

Mahmoud Arwani

Apr 20, 2016
    Hey guys!

My first post here!

Doing a project, making a PCB tester. Basically the way it works is I have a number of test points on the PCB in testing. I will be putting voltages between these points and read the voltages across power resistors via ADC. The main devices on the PCB being tested are SCRs and a diode, so it is straightforward what I'm looking for (SCR on/off etc..)

The problem.
    I'm having issues making a circuit to switch from these 3 states.
    - start as open circuit
    - allow switching +24V through limiting power resistor
    - allow switching -24V through limiting power resistor

Been recommended to use IGBTs as the -+24V may be increased in the future. Using an STM32 MCU - will need a driver circuit to run IGBTs I presume.

Any suggestion on how I can do so are very welcome.

Current problem is I need to know how the 2 attached circuits work, the 500k resistor on the end is just for simulation purposes.

Thanks in advance N-MOS Circuit final.JPG P-MOS Circuit final.JPG !

2. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    It helps if you use positive and negative rails rather than voltages and grounds floating in space.

1. If a sufficient positive voltage is put across R4, then Q1, Q2 and M1 are turned on. Q2 acts as a level shifter so that M1 can run from -24V. What is X1 50W? Why is it there?

2. This works in a similar way to 1. with opposite polarity. Q1 is the level shifter so that M1 can run from +24V The component 50W X1 should not be there. Is this a load resistor?

Mahmoud Arwani likes this.
  3. Mahmoud Arwani

Mahmoud Arwani

Apr 20, 2016
    Issue now for the N-Mos circuit is the output changes from -14.6V to -24V. How do I bias it in a way that makes it switch from 0 to -24V?

Ask a Question