Connect with us

Circuit Interrupter

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by CP3, Jan 8, 2010.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. CP3

CP3

Jan 8, 2010
    Hello to everyone..I'm new here and am looking for some help in designing a circuit interrupter. I need something that will automatically open and close a circuit on fixed schedule. 2 seconds open circuit...5 seconds closed circuit ad infinitum. It should be able to handl say 60volt-60amp DC circuits.

I have seen ones with relays or mercury switches that operate on a timed circuit. There are also ones available that utilize GPS for their timing so that multiple interrupters can be "synchronized" to open and close multiple circuits on the same pattern.

I would like something small, simple and runs on say a 9volt battery. I'm guessing you could use say a timer chip or something like that and a heat sink and capacitor maybe. But am unsure how to achieve this goal.

Thank you so much for your input and help.

CP3

http://www.mcmiller.com/pulse_generators.aspx

something like this but with only the interrupter circuit and not all the pulse generator stuff.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  2. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    If you search for CMOS timer circuit you'll come up with a number of suitable solutions. Many will be based on the popular 555 chip but the use of some of the 4000-series CMOS chips is also feasible.
    You may want to define if you want a fixed frequency (perhaps with variable duty cycle), a fixed on-time, or a fixed off-time. PWM is a term that can be used for any of these. Accuracy & stability is also an issue to consider.

You'll also want to select a logic-level MOSFET with a TO-220 or TO-247 case with (just) enough voltage capability and as low on-resistance as possible.
    Here are two examples of suitable TO220 transistors from IRF:
    IRLB3036PBF is good for 60V & 270A and has an on-resistance of 2.8mOhm (=10.1W @ 60A)
    IRLB4030PBF is good for 100V & 180A and has an on-resistance of 4.5mOhm (=16.2W @ 60A)
    There are many others available so you may want to consult the supplier of your choice and see what they have.

Ask a Question