Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Circuit for converting Fixed feed into single 'pulse'.

Stese

Dec 27, 2013
Morning all!

I'm trying to take a fixed feed from a PtM button, and convert it into a single 'pulse' to work a single strike bell, (i.e a Morse bell).

I'm building a project to restore a Ribbon Storage Train Describer to working use, which has a mechanical switch that locks into place, and maintains a simple circuit. (it is released by a solenoid moving the locking bar). This switch needs to ring a single beat on a bell when pushed in, but as the feed is fixed, the bell won't sound properly, as the arm would not move off the bell.

Any ideas?

I understand the basics of electronics (switches, resistors, relays, LED's etc), but much else is a bit beyond me at the moment... any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards,

Stese

KMoffett

Jan 21, 2009
You can use a 555 IC monostable circuit. A level change on the input will give just a single, fixed length, output pulse.

Can you provide a sketch of the wiring of the current circuit, including voltages?

Ken

Stese

Dec 27, 2013
Hi Ken,

Thanks for the response!

I've managed to look at the bell, and the strike only hits the bell on account of momentum, not the throw from the coil... so when the power is held on, the strike hits the bell, and then moves back a little... this prevents the ringing from being dulled... and removes the need for the circuit in the first place!

Woot!

Thanks anyway!