Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Circuit design help

supak111

★ƃuᴉɯǝɥɔs sʎɐʍlɐ★
Apr 29, 2012
Need a high voltage/amp LC circuit. I'm going to use a Microwave Oven Transformer.

How efficient would this set up be? Aren't LC circuits pretty efficient since energy just oscillates back and forth?
And I must use a non-polar cap here right? Can't be a polar cap?

I was wondering if this circuit would work?

Any improvement/help much appreciated as I don't know much at all about circuit design. Thank you for your help everyone.

lc.png

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
Tellus what you want the oscillation for, what frequency an voltage.

The circuit you show will give an output pulse when the switch is turned on, then the mains fuse will blow or the house will burn down.

Do not play with microwave transformers since they produce very high voltages and they do not have isolated windings as in your diagram.

supak111

★ƃuᴉɯǝɥɔs sʎɐʍlɐ★
Apr 29, 2012
Well I was going to disconnect the 100v dc power supply before I activate the switch (power supply will be batteries)

I need a very powerful spark gap to create a large amount of plasma. I was thinking about using a say 100v 0.1F cap to do so with a LC circuit.

And sorry a nob question, but explain isolated windings? I am guessing primary and secondary don't touch, what kinda of transformer is a MOT then? So I can do more research.

And basically the end goal is to: super heat air very fast.

Last edited:

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
The microwave transformers I have seen have a common connection for primary and secondary i.e. they are not isolated.

I am not into very high voltages, 1kV is enough for me. My microwave oven needs repair but I will not do it.

There are people who like high voltage sparks, they use Tesla coils. Doubtless there will be forums for this topic.

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
I'm begging you to please loose that avatar. I simply can't read your posts because that thing is so distracting.

Chris

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
Thank you!!! ;)

OK, what exactly are you trying to do? It's not really clear to me.

Chris

supak111

★ƃuᴉɯǝɥɔs sʎɐʍlɐ★
Apr 29, 2012
I want to make lots of plasma/hot air really fast.

So I figured discharging a large capacitor though a spark gap is the easiest and fastest way to achieve my goal. But since spark gap "IN AIR" only works at high voltage I need to incorporated some type of transformer. I have an MOT laying around which would work I just need to figure out best way to wire stuff up.

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
Voltages high enough to jump a gap are not necessarily dangerous but if there's enough current available to generate appreciable heat you're in very dangerous territory.

Chris

supak111

★ƃuᴉɯǝɥɔs sʎɐʍlɐ★
Apr 29, 2012
Yea if I use an MOT there is def plenty of current to be lethal many times over so I'll be super careful.

And yes that's basically what I want to do but to the oxygen and nitrogen in the air. So the electrodes need to be expose not closed in a bulb.