Connect with us

Circuit board help

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Stefg023, Feb 11, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Stefg023

Stefg023

Feb 11, 2014
    So confused. Don't know much about electronics. I've posted a picture of the circuit board in the back of a canvas picture that powers up fiber optic lights. A battery pack, switch, and led lights are all connected to the board.
    I was told the board only controls the timer in the switch. Is this true?
    Or is it used to regulate the current?
    Help!

Attached Files:

2. gorgon

gorgon

Jun 6, 2011
    The black blob on the PCB is some kind of IC. How it works are not easy to know. You have not said any thing about how this LED light works. If it only turns on and off, there is no indication on current regulation. If it is fading in and out, the electronics need to control the current too. Probably with some sort of PWM.

3. Stefg023

Stefg023

Feb 11, 2014
    Well right now, I've wired the battery pack, which holds 4 AA, to the led light, which powers it up with a simple on, off switch.
    Didn't know if I even needed this circuit board in the project I'm working on, as it works well the way it is now. Thought maybe the board helped it reach it's full brightness, or if it helped regulate the current.

4. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    Depends on what "this circuit board" is. You know, not all circuit board do the same thing.

Bob

5. shumifan50

shumifan50

Jan 16, 2014
    If the basic 'battery->resistor->switch->LED' is bright enough and you only need to turn it on and off then you don't need any additional circuitry.

If you want to make the LED brighter, you can use the trick used in remote controls:

Turn the LED on with close to maximum current through the LED(for some LEDs this can be as high as 200ma vs the normal 20-30ma). This will cook the LED if kept on constantly as the LED cannot dissipate the heat quick enough. So it has to be turned off before it cooks and left off long enough to cool down. Then turn it on hard again. This might very well be what the IC does, as well as implement a timer. This can easily be done with an NE555 timer(many circuits on the web).

If you use this technique it is best to buy high quality LEDs as the cheap ones off fleabay will typically not last well.

Here is a link to an IR Transmitter:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
Ask a Question