Connect with us

Circuit Board Component ID

Discussion in 'Datasheets, Manuals and Component Identification' started by Redshirt214, Jan 31, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Redshirt214

Redshirt214

Dec 31, 2012
  2. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Likely could identify them all less possibly the ICs if they are defaced, but for what end?

3. Redshirt214

Redshirt214

Dec 31, 2012
    We're trying to build a replica of the circuits in a larger scale.

4. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    What is the device? And why reverse engineer it (likely violating IP rights) instead of doing it from scratch?

If one of those ICs is a micocontroller do you have the $1000s it will take to get it 'hacked' so that someone can dump the code from it? FYI this is almost certainly illegal, at best not moral...

In the end what is is and what are you trying to do?

5. Redshirt214

Redshirt214

Dec 31, 2012
    We are reverse engineering the device, which is a cheap Chinese knockoff, not copying it, so there are no moral or legal repercussions. We are doing this for a class project, so we won't be selling it. The device is a RF locator. Thank you for your help.

6. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    So it's a school project? In that case, I doubt you will find many around here that will do your homework... We might be able to help you with the basic identification or purpose of said ICs but beyond that you likely won't get much help... Beyond the obvious discrete components that are easy to identify what do the ICs have stamped on them?

And I beg to differ on your stance in regards to IP rights, just because it's a "Chinese knockoff" doesn't me the design or firmware is in the public domain and a free for all to copy... There are certainly limited exceptions made under IP law in regards to research and academic program, but in the US the DMCA is crystal clear that you can not circumvent a technological lock or security feature... If said device does have a IC with propriety firmware on it you legally can not crack that lock to see what makes it tick inside...

7. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    This thread tho it may be school work, it doesnt really appear to be homework, so have moved it to Electronic Projects

Strickly speaking a homework help post should show the assignment questions followed by the posters attempts to answer

but I do agree with Coca Cola's comments ... the project sounds pretty dodgey and you are unlikely to find some one to help you with borderline illegal or at least immoral activities

Dave

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  8. Redshirt214

Redshirt214

Dec 31, 2012
    This project is strictly not for profit, being a school assignment, and is merely to replicate the circuit's function on a larger scale in order to show true understanding of how the device, a RF remote finder, works. We face neither a moral not legal quandary in this case, but rather a simple lack of knowledge on our part. Given the answers which CocaCola has already supplied me with, I will discontinue this project, as we cannot with our limited skills reverse engineer a microcomputer. I would like to point out this is not my own personal project, but one which my fellow group members entrusted me with the responsibility to research it's feasibility. So please gentlemen, let us end this line of questioning into the morality of my person, a subject which has no relevance to Electronics.

9. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    If you want to find out how an RF remote finder works, simply Google it there are dozens of public circuits to be found and lot of articles written on the subject matter...

For example...

http://iq-technologies.net/projects/rf/005/

10. cburton

cburton

Feb 5, 2013
    Let me apologize for the confusion.

I'm one of redshirt's team members, and the two of us are pre-engineering high school students. Our assignment for the year was to think of a problem faced in every day life and come up with a new (or improved) solution to the problem. This led us to the remote control finder problem, and seeing as we have only a cursory knowledge of circuitry and electronics, we've realized that we're in a bit over our heads.

Redshirt here decided to ask for advice here, and no IP rights violations were intended. However, thanks to the link supplied by CocaCola in his last post, I now have a slightly better understanding of what we need to do and a better idea of how to focus my research into the topic.

Sorry again for the misunderstanding and thank you for the advice.

Ask a Question