Connect with us

Circuit A Day?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by TheZink, Oct 25, 2014.

1. TheZink

TheZink

Oct 25, 2014
    Hello. Been looking around and like the place , so I joined. I have a long history with electronics as a hobby and in my professional life. I am an auto tech , currently with Ford. I have an understanding of the basics , and some of the advanced stuff peppered in , along with some uC and ASM garnish. I have always had trouble with things once they get to the point of designing a circuit to solve a problem , or finding the exact reason why something doesnt work. Sometimes , against my nature , I have had to "just fix it" and not worry about "why" ... I am a failure analyst at heart. I love finding that one piece of the puzzle that no one else finds , let alone understands...

Now that I have babbled enough , to the point of this topic ; Is there any blog , or site that has a "Circuit a day" ? I am looking for something along the lines of simple enough theory , but building smallish circuits to explain such... I have several books , and the whole interwebs at my disposal , but I get overloaded when picking things to try to make , because they either are too complex and I dont have some obscure transistor , or I dont want to spend a bunch of money to make a circuit that I dont have a practical use for. I guess I am looking for a beginners/intermediate blog/page that has some simple things like throwing a flip-flop together , and actually getting the theory/forumlas to learn not just the how , but the why...

anything that anyone heard of like this?

-zink

2. Arouse1973

Arouse1973 Adam

Dec 18, 2013
    Hi Zink and welcome to EP.
    well why not think of something you are interested in building and lets us help you.
    Adam

3. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
  4. TheZink

TheZink

Oct 25, 2014
    @Arouse1973 : That is part of the issue that always leads me to putting circuit design/building aside. There are not many things that I want for , let alone something that a circuit solves a problem for me... That is why I was hoping for something like a Circuit A Day type of thing...even if its a couple transistors and a little walkthrough on amplifier theory or making a latch , or what have you...

@Bluejets : I have seen that page , along with a lot of others like it , that are excellent courses and tutorials . I guess I was hoping for something that I could "follow along with" ... without losing a whole lot of my own time (and sanity).

I guess what I am going for here , is something that would "open up" the world of design and theory for me... I understand how it all works , now I need to start seeing how it works together.....

5. Arouse1973

Arouse1973 Adam

Dec 18, 2013
  6. TheZink

TheZink

Oct 25, 2014
    Those actually look pretty cool. I have been tooling around all morning looking , and I have found a site that touches on my other electrical interest for a while now , homemade components. A part of my reasoning being that if things were to go bad , and there were no parts available , I could at least put together the discrete basics , and go from there. If outside linking is frowned on , remove the following http://www.electronicstheory.com/COURSES/ELECTRONICS/cindex.htm

I am going to go over everything from the beginning , and try to focus on the equations and actually retaining the info . . . I wish there was a simple circuit database where you could put in the components on hand and get some examples using them...I always end up needing some internet-only part...

-J

7. Arouse1973

Arouse1973 Adam

Dec 18, 2013
    You can buy lots of selection boxes of components aimed around project making which would mean only buying one that would give you lots of bits to play with. You must have an interest of some form of circuit. Otherwise why would you want to learn electronics. Something must have caught your eye.
    Adam

KrisBlueNZ likes this.
  8. chopnhack

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
    Our Apologies as ElectronicsTheory.Com was hacked, and we are in the process of reconstructing it. This will take a little time, but rest assured, all yo>>

Wow, scary eh?!

As Adam has said, you can buy tons of parts cheap directly from the source - factories in China. There is a good post around here somewhere with some links to give you some ideas:
    https://www.electronicspoint.com/threads/good-basic-breadboarding-kit.269792/#post-1618157

Mods - any better way of searching the forum for something you contributed to, but did not post yourself?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
Ask a Question