Connect with us

Cintiq 21UX screen shows no signs of life

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by fungy, Nov 22, 2015.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. fungy

fungy

Nov 22, 2015
    Hello everyone. I hope someone here can guess what is wrong with this unit. This time-traveler made his way through many years but surprisingly looks good enough to say his previous owner was a neat person. This piece of history dated 2006 (the time it was manufactured).

Anyway, it was bought from a TV studio that is upgrading its equipment so I don't know exactly what happened with this monitor before. But for now:

- It does power up. The power led light is blue as it should be.
    - Looks like all the functions and buttons work (i don't have a pen to check digitizer but this is not the problem for now).
    - Windows recognizes it and the model name and resolutions are proper.
    - It was identified as VGA Display but I connect it with DVI-I cable. From what I see in google it is a known problem and I only need an adapter to force drivers take digital signal. But even in VGA mode it has to show the picture, right?

The screen is always black like if the backlight was dead. If someone could take a guess on what this could be I would be grateful. I will try to disassemble it but doubt I can fix this myself.

Thank you.

2. cjdelphi

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
    Open it up take some photos, it could be a simple capacitor problem or an IC problem...

3. fungy

fungy

Nov 22, 2015
    This was exactly what you said.. I tried to disassemble it myself but was scared breaking something since it's a very expensive unit. Wacom support told me it could take at least few weeks from the moment I bring it to them and the fix price could be high. So I just brought it to a nearest electronic repairs, they opened it and replaced a few capacitors and... voila! It works now. It took about 40 minutes and 50$. But next time I will post photos here and try to do it myself :) Thank you.

4. cjdelphi

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
    I've repaired so many bad caps it's not funny, tv's amplifiers, even washing machines!

Saved $$$'s :)

But what you paid for was the experience as the parts would have cost them less than a dollar most likely to fix...

5. Kodakdog

Kodakdog

Jul 18, 2018
    fungy, where do you live and where did you take it?

Ask a Question