Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Christmas Decoration Repair

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
Before anyone blurts out, "Why didn't you just buy a new strand of lights/get a new one, etc."

I will explain briefly that the decoration in question (a 6' swag style bow with a red bow/white swags with matching lights) has hung from the front of the house for some years. When the store bought one of plastic started to literally disintegrate my wife was somewhat distraught. I told her I would make a new one and did so from plywood which was then painted and 150 holes later we have success. Here's a pic:

upload_2014-11-22_20-27-51.png

So after only one season, the left swag was completely dead! It was passing power through to the rest of the decoration, but no light on the left. I was severely vexed as this was supposed to be one of those strands that stay lit when a bulb burns out :mad:

I found the application of computer science to be quite helpful in this problem: Binary Chop, LOL!!
I tested continuity from the first bulb to the last bulb and then from the middle bulb to the ends to divide and conquer. From there I was able to continue to reduce by halves until I was able to replace all the broken bulbs. There were 15! Almost a third had burnt out!! I also found it useful to measure resistance between the beginning and various points and soon found that there was only roughly 1-2Ω increase per bulb. This was useful for ferreting out potentially bad or soon to be bad bulbs with higher resistance (probably oxidized wire leads).

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
you should use LEDs I have given up on all the bulb fairy light strings mis-fitting and blown bulbs in a string of 200 is a pain in the a$$
Just bought 2 more 250 coloured LED strings today for AU$14 each

more efficient, no heat etc etc :)

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
you should use LEDs I have given up on all the bulb fairy light strings mis-fitting and blown bulbs in a string of 200 is a pain in the a$$
Just bought 2 more 250 coloured LED strings today for AU$14 each

more efficient, no heat etc etc :)

That is a good price! Do you have a link to what they look like? I passed on the idea last year of going LED - I wasn't sure if they allow pass through connections to incandescent devices. The bow connects two other small strands of lights before ending up in the mains.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I wasn't sure if they allow pass through connections to incandescent devices.

no prob not, due to lower voltage and current requirements

a couple of pix of mine didn't find any suitable pix online

DSCF5648a.jpg

DSCF5649a.jpg

They auto cycle through a bunch of different flashing sequences red/yellow and blue/green

I didn't unwind the coil , there's 250 LEDs in that bunch
smaller sets are available and could easily be made into patterns like you have done for your decoration :)

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I gotta agree here. The incandescent bulbs are all made in China now with zero quality control. I've had some spectaular explosions with even auto-light bulbs that were made in China.
LED's would seem to me to be the way to go.