Connect with us

Chinese amp with dual positive rail!?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Matthew Fletcher, Jan 17, 2017.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Matthew Fletcher

Matthew Fletcher

Jan 17, 2017
    So i bought an amp a while back and never got around to putting it together for the unusual wiring.
    Seems like it has 2x +12v inputs?
    I was also stumped by the image to the left of the 12v, 0v, 12v labels... Assuming its just a transformer or power supply?
    Thanks in advance for any help :)

Attached Files:

2. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    That is a center tapped transformer. It is probably used to create a bipolar
    ±12V supply.

Bob

HellasTechn likes this.
  3. Matthew Fletcher

Matthew Fletcher

Jan 17, 2017
    I see! I'm not entirely sure what that means but i shall find out! Thanks for the help! :D

4. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    Audio power amps often work with a positive and negative voltage supply with a common ground. These two supplies produce the power for the positive and negative parts of the audio signal.

Bob

5. Matthew Fletcher

Matthew Fletcher

Jan 17, 2017
    Just wondering, can i assume i could simply is 2 supplies to power the board? Just hook up the positives and the earth of each to ground?
    Just im struggling to find the right part(novice) and I'm wanting to keep it simple

6. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    that didn't really make sense ... try again

you image shows a centre tapped transformer ... it is AC voltage. It isn't + and - and ground as in a DC supply

That transformer will feed a bridge rectifier ( not shown) that along with capacitors will create a dual rail PSU

7. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    here is an example of a full dual rail supply

upload_2017-1-25_20-19-11.png

8. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    You could connect the +ve of one to the -ve of the other. That join is 0V. The free +ve lead is +12V, and the free -ve lead is -12V.

Note that this means there is 24V between -12V and +12V (which is correct).

Ask a Question