Connect with us

child safety in cars

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by dor, Jul 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Scroll to continue with content
  1. dor

dor

Jul 31, 2016
    hello everybody,
    to my school project i want to make a divice that would make the car alarm go on if there is CO2 gas inside the car.
    the project is used for saving kids to be left in hot days in the car.
    need help please. i have a little experience with electronics but i learn fast!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2016
  2. Alec_t

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
    Welcome to EP!
    The main item you will need is a CO2 sensor module. One with an analogue output might be simplest to interface with the car's electrics, but you would have to understand the car's wiring system. With so much done digitally in cars these days, a digital interface could be required instead.
    Be aware that modifying the car's system may need the approval of the car's insurer and may have to comply with vehicle Regulations of your country.
    As an alternative, a stand-alone alarm would avoid having to interface with the existing alarm.

3. AnalogKid

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
    1. Research CO2 gas sensors for sensitivity, size and mounting, power requirements, and output signal.
    2. Research shopping sites for pre-fabricated CO2 sensor devices and assemblies. There might be one that does most of what you want, significantly reducing the overall design effort.
    3. Research car horns to determine how much current your device must switch on and off.

ak

4. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    Why should a hot car have high CO2 in its air?
    Surely the problem is temperature.

davenn likes this.
  5. hevans1944

hevans1944 Hop - AC8NS

Jun 21, 2012
    Not "high CO2," but a child breathing generates CO2 and that might be detectable, along with other environmental clues such as respiration, heartbeat, crying, and movement. Surely the problem is not temperature but the idiots who roll up the windows, lock their car, and leave a child unattended while walking off to do "more important things" than safeguard their children.

Harald Kapp likes this.
  6. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    CO2 is the least of your worry
    the child is going to die of heat exhaustion long before they die of CO2 poisoning

I think you need to revise your project to get to the real problem

CHILDREN shouldn't be left in cars !!!

Dave

7. Dan M

Dan M

Jul 31, 2016
    a CO2 sensor to prevent parents from forgetting their kids in (hot) cars is a really convoluted and poorly performant (if any at all) attempt at a solution. First off there will be CO2 when the driver AND the kid are inside the moving car so when the car stops and the driver leaves the car the dynamic of the CO2 (filling the interior of the car) level will actually slow down cuz only the kid will be breathing.

Incidentally today (7/31/16) is National Heatstroke Prevention Day and incidentally #2 I designed the most reliable, affordable and versatile Universal Forget-Me-Not device: Never Forget Us! Maybe it'll inspire you .. Diamond2-J.jpg

hevans1944 likes this.
  8. pgib8

pgib8

Jul 26, 2015
    i have one more to add. a pressure plate on the roof. if the parents leave their child on the roof and put the car in gear the alarm goes off.

9. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    Thread closed before it gets out of hand

pgib8 likes this.
Ask a Question