Connect with us

Checking Battery rating

Discussion in 'Power Electronics' started by Bob Schedler, Nov 28, 2015.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Bob Schedler

Bob Schedler

Oct 16, 2015
    I have a number of 3.7V BRC 18650 Li ion batteries from Ultrafire, rated at 4200mAh - which I don't believe. So I have one of those natty little devices which can check this. I just put the batteries under load, and measure just about everything under the Sun - volts, amps watts, power etc. The only question is: what does the rating mean or claim? After discharge to zero volts (impossible)? Discharge to 50% of the volts? 75%?
    Also, at what current should I discharge? 10% of the rating, ie 420mA?
    Thanks for your help.

2. Arouse1973

Arouse1973 Adam

Dec 18, 2013
    Hi Bob. The capacity claim does seem rather high, maybe their cut off voltage is lower. The highest I have used are 3400 mAh from Panasonic. The capacity is measured using a fixed load and then timing how long it takes for the battery voltage to drop to a certain level, this is normally 2.5 Volts but I have seen specs saying 2.2 Volts. 10% of rated capacity for the discharge current is fine.
    Thanks
    Adam

Bob Schedler likes this.
  3. dorke

dorke

Jun 20, 2015
    Bob,
    I think you should see this video...

Bob Schedler and Arouse1973 like this.
  4. Bob Schedler

Bob Schedler

Oct 16, 2015
    I feared and suspected it! Never mind, next time I will pay more and then choose a Panasonic or Sony.

5. Bob Schedler

Bob Schedler

Oct 16, 2015
    Thanks Adam,
    Will use 10% discharging current. I think that lower than 2.5 volts may cause irreparable damage to the battery, according to various 'net claims.

6. Alec_t

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
    Believe those claims. Over-charging or over-discharging lithium cells is dangerous. The better cells have safety circuits attached to prevent misuse.

Bob Schedler likes this.
  7. Bob Schedler

Bob Schedler

Oct 16, 2015
    [QUOTE="Alec_t, post: 1672951, member: 40611 ]Believe those claims. Over-charging or over-discharging lithium cells is dangerous. The better cells have safety circuits attached to prevent misuse.[/QUOTE]
    My charger "seems" to recognise when the battery is fully charged, but to be sure, I constantly monitor the charging current. As I understand it, when the charging current is 0 mA, the battery is fully charged (?).

8. Arouse1973

Arouse1973 Adam

Dec 18, 2013
    Yes Alec, correct. But its the pack that has the circuit. Single cells dont as far as I am aware. But might be wrong. I only use them in qualified packs with circuits.
    Adam

Alec_t likes this.
Ask a Question