Connect with us

Cheap Relays Help!

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Micro Farad, Aug 8, 2011.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Micro Farad

Micro Farad

Aug 8, 2011
    Hi, I want to build a computer out of relays, I always have. Knowing how to build the computer isn't the issue though, I know I could do that. The issue is buying relays. I have no idea how to buy relays!

I just need something low voltage. They need to be normally closed single pole double throw relays. They also need to be very, very cheap.

Could somebody give me a few good links to relays.

Also, could I possibly make my own relays cheaper than I could buy them, if so, how do you recommend I do this?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  2. daddles

daddles

Jun 10, 2011
    Here's a relay that you could get for 65 cents apiece if you bought 100 of them. No doubt if you spend some time searching the web, you could find better deals.

I seriously doubt there's any way you could make a relay as cheap as what you can buy.

3. Micro Farad

Micro Farad

Aug 8, 2011
    That looks to be nice, but do relays not come in smaller sizes, maybe 5v?

4. daddles

daddles

Jun 10, 2011
    Uh, didn't you bother looking around at the site whose link I gave? They have lots of relays.

5. poor mystic

poor mystic

Apr 8, 2011
    You could consider reed relays. I can't see you getting far using anything cheap though. When you do some reliability calculations and match those against the cost and effort needed to build the machine, you'll agree.
    The advantage of reeds over other relays is that they're smaller and lighter, with less power required to run them and less circuit board real estate required to house them. Pickering make reed relays.

6. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    There are a lot of good 5v relays because of uses for them in computers.
    I've had good luck with ones from Panasonic, that generally run less than $5 (U.S.)
    apiece, ...but there are many others. Check on-line for manufacturers and data sheets.

7. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    How about these -- 25c each.

24V, but if I was building a relay computer I would probably consider them.

Ask a Question