Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Cheap and Compact Bluetooth Controller

JGeffy23

Sep 9, 2013
Hi,

I'm looking to create a cheap and compact music controller which will connect to as wide a range of devices as possible (primarily targeted at smartphones). I assumed that bluetooth would be the simplest way to go. I want to create something like this but with simply skip, pause, play (and potentially volume control, depending on added complexity). I have seen bluetooth headphones and controllers (with speakers etc) for <£20, so I assume this item could be manufactured for somewhere in that ball park.

I am a Mechanical Engineer by profession and don't have much experience with electronics so would really appreciate any steer in the right direction. I think I have made some headway in component choices, although how they come together and the missing pieces have me stumped.

I imagine I need a bluetooth transceiver and a battery (ideally the item would be rechargeable) - I reason a battery of this size should give at least 24 hours usage. Power consumption of similar bluetooth transceivers are stated as being 8ma once paired, higher when pairing. I would need a circuit board with switches for the control buttons(?), a charge port (I'm thinking charging via microUSB port?), and some sort of power management circuit with a watchdog timer. I'm probably missing loads or other components out too.

I realise I am still a good way off from having the final, complete, picture..... I'm not looking to have it all spelled out for me (although if someone wanted to do that, it would be awesome ha). A nod to some literature to read or a place to get started would be really appreciated. Also, if you have any suggestions for cheaper components, or anything else, please let me know.

Thanks in advance,

James

I should also add that I do have access to a bread board, and some testing equipment.

Last edited:

JGeffy23

Sep 9, 2013
Well I've managed to make some progress in understanding the problem, can anybody chime in with any support?

JGeffy23

Sep 9, 2013
Progress!

After a good amount of research I've come up with an initial schematic for the system.

Is anyone able to give me any pointers as to what I'm missing, or what is wrong?

I would like to add in a watchdog timer system, I have no idea how. Also, a system for ensuring that the Lipo is not run down too low - is there a chip out there which will do that, or is that included in the "protection circuit" which comes on the lipo.

Finally, how would one go about altering the flash memory on the Bluetooth module. i.e. what equipment is needed, what software, and physically how would I go about doing it?

Thanks

Attachments

• Electronics Schematic Rev0.pdf
    15.5 KB · Views: 4,721