Connect with us

chassis ground definition

Discussion in 'Electronic Basics' started by [email protected], Mar 22, 2007.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Guest

  2. Rich Grise

    Rich Grise Guest

    If by "normal" ground, you mean "earth ground" or "safety ground", then no.
    It's called "chassis ground" because typically it's used as the common
    negative return from the supply. (stuff used to be built on metal chassis,
    nowadays it's a layer of copper on the PCB.)

    Conceptually, it's like the difference between "ground" (the green or bare
    wire) and "neutral" (the white wire) in house wiring.

    They usually are connected together at one point (but only one!), but
    that's not absolutely necessary, if it's totally isolated, double
    insulated, all that schtuff.

    Just FYI, the symbol for "earth ground" is usually:


    The chassis ground symbol is sometimes called "common", just to avoid
    that confusion.

    Hope This Helps!
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day