Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Charging FAQ

Raven Luni

Oct 15, 2011
Greetings,

I've noticed the subject of charging batteries seems to come up alot in one form or another. I've been reading up on the subject myself - and a few important things stand out such as safety concerns and the current / timing constraints for different types of batteries etc.

Maybe it might be worth putting some info up as a resource.

Here is one of the more decent articles I was reading: http://www.mpoweruk.com/chargers.htm

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Yeah, I agree.

Do you want to start writing one?

Raven Luni

Oct 15, 2011
Not sure I'm the best one to do that as I've just started reading about the stuff - but I can throw up anything I consider sensible and important if you want :p

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
If you're actively trying to figure this stuff out, then you're doing almost exactly what anyone else would be doing before writing an article.

If you are going to that effort and can pass on a few links to pages that you think help explain the process then you'll already be saving some people the effort you're going to, and possibly assisting even more those that wouldn't have bothered going to that effort.

It may well form the core of a future article if you, me, or someone else writes one.

Raven Luni

Oct 15, 2011
Ah. You are indeed wise :p

Ok I'll throw up a few FAQ style points and someone can hopefully do something with it :)

Raven Luni

Oct 15, 2011
Q. The charger for my device is lost / broken. Can I use this one as a substitute?
A. In this context, 'charger' usually refers simply to a mains adapter. The battery along with the appropriate charging circuitry is within the device itself. As long as your adapter has the same voltage output as the original and an equal or greater current rating, it should be safe to use.

Q. Why must I use a standard charger only with the specified battery types?
A. Different cell chemistries give rise to different electrical and thermal properties. Some require constant voltage, some require constant current, some require carefully timed combinations of both, and some have very strict charge and temperature limits. Using an unsuitable charging profile can at best cause damage to the cell and at worst, result in extreme heating and/or gas build up with dire consequences.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Good job :) I have some more common questions for you... (but maybe they're power supply related...)

Will the 12V 1A adapter overload my device which needs 12V at 250mA?

and in a similar vein

How can I reduce the current from my 12V 1A adapter so I can connect it to my 12V at 250mA device?

and

My mains adapter says 12V 200mA. By device is 12V 500mA. Can I use the adapter for this device?

How about these:

I want to do something (switch on a LED for example) when my battery is charged. How do I do it?

My old electric screwdriver's batteries are dead. They're marked as NiCad 600mAhr, can I replace them with NiMH, or maybe NiCads that are 2400mAhr?

One of the batteries in my model car's battery pack has died. Can I replace just that cell?

I recall those sort of questions coming up.