Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Charging Circuit

edog200277

Mar 17, 2017
I am building a charging circuit for a 1 F capacitor and I would like for an LED to light up when the cap is all charged. Any suggestions to doing this?

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
Look into a non inverting comparator circuit.

That would light the led when it's charged, but you probably want a more elaborate and safer circuit that would to kill the supply to the cap?
If one of those babies explodes, I'd imagine you'd have a very bad day.

edog200277

Mar 17, 2017
Do you know of a circuit that would cut the supply to the cap when it is all charged?

Herschel Peeler

Feb 21, 2016
I am building a charging circuit for a 1 F capacitor and I would like for an LED to light up when the cap is all charged. Any suggestions to doing this?

Design 1131 c capacitor charger.PNG

Here is a start. It was a battery charger. You will need to adjust thongs for voltages you want. U1 and Q1 makes a power source to charge the capacitor. R1 and R2 set the voltage to charge it. U2 monitors the voltage on the cap. When it reaches a certain voltage (set by R3 and R4) it triggers the latch that kills U1. Hitting the Start button starts charging it ll over again.
What voltage did you need VCC to be. What voltage to charge the capacitor at. what voltage to stop.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
It might be worth looking at this thread.

We reverse engineered a circuit designed to allow the charging of supercaps up to a certain voltage. There was also a board shown which turned on a LED when the cap was charged. It seems much simpler than the circuit given in this thread. If you can find an image of the board, you may be able to reverse engineer how they did it.

Herschel Peeler

Feb 21, 2016
Design 1131 d cap charger.PNG
View attachment 32853 View attachment 32852
It might be worth looking at this thread.

We reverse engineered a circuit designed to allow the charging of supercaps up to a certain voltage. There was also a board shown which turned on a LED when the cap was charged. It seems much simpler than the circuit given in this thread. If you can find an image of the board, you may be able to reverse engineer how they did it.

Not a good enough Image to de-engineer but it looks like a nice circuit. Maybe something like this?

Last edited: