Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Charging a battery bank faster?

Moha99

Nov 18, 2011
Hey everyone!

Its been a while, hoped you all had a wonderful holiday and an amazing new year!

I have a battery bank that is in total of 12KW( 1200W battery = 12 V x 100A x 10)

When I connect it to a power source, wouldn't it be faster for me to charge the batteries in a parallel circuit than in series? Or is there no difference at all?

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
well it depends on your voltage and current capabilities, also what type of battery.

Connecting them in series will give you higher voltage, so if you have a 12-24V variable supply but it will do say 10A at either it would be faster to charge in series. But if you have a 12-24V that will do 15A at 12V but only 5A at 24V youd be better off going with parallel.

Its all dependent upon what you have available.

Moha99

Nov 18, 2011
well it depends on your voltage and current capabilities, also what type of battery.

Connecting them in series will give you higher voltage, so if you have a 12-24V variable supply but it will do say 10A at either it would be faster to charge in series. But if you have a 12-24V that will do 15A at 12V but only 5A at 24V youd be better off going with parallel.

Its all dependent upon what you have available.

For some reason... I thought if I could charge each battery separately it would be faster.
I guess whether they are in series, parallel or sperate they all are quite fast.

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
For some reason... I thought if I could charge each battery separately it would be faster.
I guess whether they are in series, parallel or sperate they all are quite fast.

it all depends really, alone vs in parallel would take overall the same amount of time, since the only thing that changes is the total capacity, but there is also less time taken with changing the battery out when the individual one is done.

Moha99

Nov 18, 2011
it all depends really, alone vs in parallel would take overall the same amount of time, since the only thing that changes is the total capacity, but there is also less time taken with changing the battery out when the individual one is done.

So really series and parallel are quite the same(I know it depends on many factors) in charging speed.
My problem is trying to solve charging time! Making faster and effective for my battery bank. So I guess I'll have to stick with my planned setup since my "idea" failed :p