Connect with us

Charger / Power Pack

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by spike47, Jun 2, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. spike47

spike47

Aug 11, 2009
    Hi

I buy Broken Laptops and Repair them ( not all ! ) as a hobby , the question I have at the moment is that I have a Laptop repaired and ready to fire up , but I do not have the correct charger / power supply for it .

It requires a 19V 4.5A supply , now I have a couple of chargers but they have a 19.5V 4.5A output , would that extra 0.5 V make such a difference as to blow the Laptop ! .

thanks

spike

2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    Hi Spike
    welcome to the forums :)

not likely as most laptops have a bunch of voltage regulators in them anyway to produce the required various DC rails.

i would suspect that + - 0.5V would most likely be well within the specs of the supply anyway

Dave

3. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    dang mate

I just noticed your join date ! where have you been hiding for the last 3 years

Dave

4. spike47

spike47

Aug 11, 2009
    Hi davenn

Thanks for your reply , I am very tempted to use the other power pack's but I still need a bit info as to whether it will be ok , I am more or less 100% sure it will be , the reason I am dithering is that I checked the Voltage of the spare power packs I have and they showed one at 19.8V and the other at 19.9V , so I am talking about nearly a 1V difference now , yes i know I should just go and buy a new one for a couple of our £s , but I like to push and try things out its just me .

cheers

spike

5. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    19.8 and 19.9? that's only 0.1 volt.

Perhaps you mis-typed.

6. khankll

khankll

Feb 6, 2011
    that is not a big difference i have tried such thingas in past have had no issue..

however if u damn want to reduce it then a power diode which can easily handle this current can be attached in series.. diodes often have .5v forward voltage drop.. in this case u will get exact voltage that u want..

Ask a Question