Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Charger for Optical device

kawadas

Feb 22, 2012
Hi everyone,

I need some help with my project.

I am doing a redesign of a charger port for an Ophthalmoscope (optical device) and need some help with knowing the insides of the charger port.

When the ophthalmoscope is placed on top of the big black button it switches the ophthalmoscope off and starts charging it.

I would like to know how this happens and what electrics inside it make it charge.

It is wall mounted and plugged into the mains. The ophthalmascope is attached to it (the charger) via wire. Also what is the 'IN' 'OUT' wires for on the charging port?

*(Photos attached)*
Your help would be much appreciated, thanks :)

Attachments

• wall charger.jpg
    wall charger.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 186
  • wall charger2.jpg
    wall charger2.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 156
  • wall charger3.jpg
    wall charger3.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 158
  • wall charger4.jpg
    wall charger4.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 155

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
This looks like the 74350 wall power source for a Binocular Indirect Ophthalmoscope
http://www.welchallyn.com/apps/products/product.jsp?id=11-ac-100-0000000001205.
From the manual (http://www.welchallyn.com/documents...cope/usermanual_20090303_BIO_power_source.pdf) I take it that:

IN = input port from the power supply (wall wart) to teh wall power source
OUT = output port from the wall power source to the headset.

The specifications for the unit are in the manual page 1-7.

Note that this is not a charger. There is no battery and the wall power unit is connected to the headset via cable.

As to how it operates one can only guess (unless you have technical documents or open the unit). There could be a mechanical switch to conrtol the power output to the headset or there could be some sensor (which may be more probable since this allows the housing to be closed -> better suited for medical equipment).
Of the many possible sensor types the two most simple ones would be
1) a reed contact in the wall unit, controlled by a small magnet in the headset
2) an infrared photodetector (the "black" button may nevertheless be transparent for infrared light).

This is about all the guesswork I can do without havin access to more detailed information.

Harald

kawadas

Feb 22, 2012
Harald,

Thanks for your kind response. I dont think the switch is an infrared photodetector, it is most likely a reed switch in this case. Would you be able to provide me with a diagram of the type of circuit and components that would be inside the wall power source?

This would be very much appreciated.
Thank you