Connect with us

Charge and discharge

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Gregg Sanders, Sep 7, 2015.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Gregg Sanders

Gregg Sanders

Sep 7, 2015
    Hello.Im busy with a personal project and i want to know if there is a way that i can store 220v in a few minutes and release the 220v over a period of a few minuts. i thought capacitors would be my solution but any suggestions at this point would be appreciated thanks.Out put power that i want to achieve is about 4 kw.

2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    Am I right in assuming that you mean AC (as suggested by the value of 220 V)?
    Then the answer is no. AC cannot be "stored". You will need an "uninteruptible power supply", short UPS, that stores the energy in DC form (typically within an accumulator) and bridges a loss of primary power by generating an AC output from the stored energy.

3. rickselectricalprojects

rickselectricalprojects

Feb 1, 2015
    as Harald Kapp said above, you cant store ac voltage in capacitors. in fact applying ac voltage to electrolytic capacitors will blow them up and is my favorite way of blowing them up!!!

4. oz93666

oz93666

Dec 7, 2014
    4kw for a few minutes is a lot of energy .... forget capacitors or coils (unless you have thousands of $ to spend)

your only option is batteries or fly-wheel storage.

5. AnalogKid

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
    4 kW for a few minutes is 1 million watt-seconds. That's a lot of energy storage without even getting into the AC/DC/AC conversion at kilowatt levels. Here is a first-pass, seat of the pants analysis. Based on CCA ratings, a large car battery is good for about 1000 A for 30 seconds, or 360,000 w-s. You would need 3 such batteries for 4 minutes of storage, plus another one to cover inefficiencies.

ak

Ask a Question