Connect with us

Charge 2 LIR2032's in series

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by jpaytoncfd, Sep 15, 2011.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. jpaytoncfd

jpaytoncfd

Sep 15, 2011
    First off I have no experence building any IC's. I am hoping something exists already but I cant find anything. I am using 2 LIR2032 button cells in series mounted in a holder. I would like to be able to charge them in the holder because it is going to be sealed. Obviously I know that I need to have higher voltage. (its 4.2 volts to charge) so I need 8.4 volts. same 20mA. Right? I am hoping there is something or someone out there that already makes a charger for this purpous. or if there is a schematic for this that I could get someone to make for me. Oh and I want it to work off 12v DC. Maybe 110 AC too, not sure.

2. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    You'll also have to consider charge balancing, otherwise you run the risk of ruining the cell that reaches full charge first. So you'll need a center tap from the batteries.

3. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Are they rechargeable cells?

4. jpaytoncfd

jpaytoncfd

Sep 15, 2011
    They are rechargeable, LIR2032. I am trying to make a rechargeable petsafe battery. The battery is made of 2 CR2032's in a very small package. How would I do a center tap?

5. nepow

nepow

Jul 18, 2011
    They are Lithium-ion button cells 3.6v @ 35mAh... the charge voltage = 4.2v constant and charge current = 17mA constant. I understand charge methods must be precisely controlled!! and balancing techniques can get quite involved. Maybe a good idea to search the web for data etc before progressing further. Kind Regards

6. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    I spent some time looking on google yesterday for youandcouldnt find any ccts for charging 2 in series. only chargers that had slots for 2 individual cells for charging.

Res's suggestion may be the best way to go ... hack one of those 2 cell chargers and modify the planned layout o your seriesed 2 cell battery pack

Dave

Ask a Question