Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Charge 2 - 12V batteries in my car

gregrae

Jan 12, 2011
I have looked on the forum for a circuit digram to be able to charg 2 -12V batteries in my car but one battery has priotery charging and the other charges when the main battery is charged.

Can you tell me if there is a circuit digram on the forum of the switching device.

poor mystic

Apr 8, 2011
Hi Gregrae :)
Here's a thought experiment.
Imagine you have been reincarnated as a battery charging circuit like the one you want. How do you decide which battery will need charge? You can't just connect them in parallel and expect things to stay good for long. So you need a basis for decision, which might be anything at all, but which will determine a choice.
Most often you'll decide to charge either the least-charged battery first, or to charge the main battery until it's full and then look at the other unit. Automobile manufacturers tend to make the main battery the priority so you can always run the car... the name 'main battery' implies as much to me.

poor mystic

Apr 8, 2011
I suspect that you might be best pleased by a battery charger that could be wired into your car's electric circuit and would function independently. Is that about right?

daddles

Jun 10, 2011
Check with an RV supply. They will sell electrical units that will isolate your main battery, yet let a secondary battery (e.g., in the RV) be charged. I used something like this for a decade or so to keep the battery in our old tent camper charged when driving.

gregrae

Jan 12, 2011
It is easy to buy a priotery solenoid but when learning about electronices it is better to make the device I enjoy working with electronices but I still have a long way to go.
If you could help me out wiuth this project all I would like to do is for transistors to obtain a siginal when a voltage of 13 volts is reached with the main battery and will switch a relay to the secondary battery and switch back when the voltage of the main battery reaches 12.5 volts.
Can you help me with this request.

poor mystic

Apr 8, 2011
Hi again Gregrae
I feel little confidence in the idea of an electronic circuit to achieve the results you require. If you look at the kinds of electrical devices that are used in automobile power regulation you will see that they are very robust, both in the sense that they survive mechanical shocks like collisions and the vibration of the road, and in the sense that even the high voltages that sometimes leak out of faulty spark plug leads will not easily destroy them.
Your requirements could be met by a relay switching the charging curent from the main battery into a secondary battery. I gather you understand that an electromagnetic switch is available for this job, but want to try using electronics to do the job as a learning project.
I think that it is very hard to design a good electronic circuit for this job because of the very delicate nature of control electronics and the very rough electric and mechanical environment of an automobile. Of course it is not impossible but it might be very far from economical.
However here's a suggestion for your first step.
Build your voltage detector using whatever technology you want and try and get it to a reliable stage. Remember that the functioning of your car will depend on the circuit you build, when deciding how reliable it really is. An 'occassional' fault could easily destroy your battery.
However I also think that a transistor circuit to do this job would be a complex and difficult design job, and that transistors are the wrong choice when there are easy-to-use packages such as op-amps available. I have a suggestion for the circuit, which I have drawn and attached below.
I hope someone else comes along and looks at my circuit and helps with some good ideas for protecting the rather delicate electronics from the rough environment. Already I see that I have omitted a zener diode, rated for breakdown at 18V, which should be connected across the power supply leads to the op-amp to protect the op-amp from high voltage spikes.

You'll find as you go along that in electronics designs you'll want to use the fewest possible components, often in an imaginative way, to get the job done. You'll also find that a lot of thought has to go into design work.
I don't guarantee that this circuit is the best for the job - in fact I'm sure it's not.
As always, I recommend "The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill, which is the best text ever written on electronics. You could buy a copy and read it from cover to cover.

Attachments

• 13V detector.gif
    13V detector.gif
    4.7 KB · Views: 123