Connect with us

Change TV to receive UHF Channels

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by Thirantha, Oct 10, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Thirantha

Thirantha

Aug 31, 2014
    This is a CRT Black & White National 17'' Television. Model No is TR-289EE. This TV is capable of showing only VHF channels. There is no functionality in the TV to receive UHF channels. I want to watch both VHF & UHF Channels. Is it possible to do that by changing the TV Tuner?

2. Arouse1973

Arouse1973 Adam

Dec 18, 2013
    Yes I cant see why not. But might be easier to buy another TV.
    Adam

3. dablakh0l

dablakh0l

Sep 19, 2014
  4. KrisBlueNZ

KrisBlueNZ Sadly passed away in 2015

Nov 28, 2011
    It's unlikely you could modify the set. You would need a drop-in replacement tuner, or you would have to modify a tuner designed for a different set. The modifications could be mechanical, electrical, or both.

Also, if the channel selection system doesn't have any way to choose between UHF and VHF then there will be no signal to use to switch the tuner from one band to the other.

I think your best bet would be a UHF-to-VHF repeater, like the one linked in post #3, or perhaps a stand-alone tuner, IF and detector circuit with composite video and audio outputs that you could feed to the video and audio inputs of the set, if it has them.

5. elebish

elebish

Aug 16, 2013
    You might be able to cannibalize a vhf/uhf tuner from an old set of the same vintage, feed in the proper supply voltage and agc feedback voltage to the 'feed through caps' to your new tuner since most tuner voltages are the same and plug the IF output from that tuner into the existing IF input of the tv. The new tuner could be put in a box and mounted external to the tv as long as the IF output wire is shielded and long enough to reach. Remove the old tuner first. Sounds like an interesting project and a good learning experience. NOTE: I could not find that model number in my Sams index book under National or Panasonic. Ed.

Ask a Question