Connect with us

Challenge - See if you can solve this simple circuit diagram

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by stspringer, Feb 14, 2020.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. stspringer

stspringer

May 10, 2019
    Ok I have this circuit diagram that I hooked up with 12 volt battery - 2 led's with dual terminals - low beam and high beam - high beam is 3.5 watt low beam is 1.2 watt - 1157 bayonet mount. I have 2 led flashers with battery terminal and load terminal I have a SPDT switch and a DPST switch

This circuit will be used to simulate a cars "front only" running lights, turn signal - left and right - and hazard lights.

I am uploading a pic of this circuit diagram. I have another circuit diagram that fixed my first diagrams problem almost 100 percent fix. Maybe someone could explain a total 100% fix

RUNNING LIGHTS "PARKING LIGHTS" ARE ALWAYS ON IN THIS CIRCUIT

PROBLEM WITH THE FIRST DIAGRAM:
    Now, this first diagram has a problem. When the turn signal is turned on, either left or right, the high beam led is hardly noticeable, very dim, will not even pass inspection as a turn signal same with the hazard lights turn them on and they are very dim hardly noticeable

I am just uploading the diagram without the partial not 100% fix. Then I would like some feedback on what you think the fix would be to make the turn signals flash at full brightness.

WHAT IS THE FIX I AM LOOKING FOR?

When the turn signals or hazard lights are on they should bling at normal speed with full brightness
    not dim or hardly noticeable

Thank you for your time

Attached Files:

2. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    If you were to draw the circuit diagram in a conventional way you would immediately see the problem associated with the dual LED in each instance.

It is this precise reason why, voltage fed auto lights in particular are switched in the negative AND in a particular sequence/arrangement.

Without going any further I am 100% certain of the correct arrangement, but hell, that would spoil your fun.;);)

3. stspringer

stspringer

May 10, 2019
    Correct Arrangement? You mean you would not add any components?

4. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    To begin with, you do not show any detail or link to the LED units currently used or the flasher units.

5. stspringer

stspringer

May 10, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    davenn likes this.
  6. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    Trash the 2 element LED bulb and replace with 2 single element, perhaps add some load resistance to make the flasher work on LDE loading or replace with flasher designed to work with LEDs.
    No way of knowing the internal circuit of the LED combination without hacking into one and I'm not about to do that.
    I do however suspect the LED bulb / flasher combination to be the heart of the problem.( feedback in old terminology)

7. stspringer

stspringer

May 10, 2019

Hello Bluejets,
    I loved the video link you sent, very nice. I think I did what you mention here "perhaps add some load resistance"
    I will upload my partial fix diagram now. I say partial fix because the led blinks slightly slower but the brightness is very good.

What I did was I added a diode and a 68 ohm resistor to the positive side of the led"s low beam wires

"replace with flasher designed to work with LEDs". wasn't the Amazon link I sent you a led flasher?

Tell me what you think

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  8. 73's de Edd

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
  9. stspringer

stspringer

May 10, 2019
    Thanks 73's de Edd
    Check out my schematic I drew with circuits lab web software. I used 2 relays and 2 led flashers and a DPST and SPDT switches
    The relay turns off pin 87a when the turn signal or hazard lights are on pin 87 is not used. I am happy

Any ideas of what I could add to employ pin 87?

Attached Files:

10. stspringer

stspringer

May 10, 2019
    Check out my schematic I drew with circuits lab web software. I used 2 relays and 2 led flashers and a DPST and SPDT switches
    The relay turns off pin 87a when the turn signal or hazard lights are on pin 87 is not used. I am happy

Any ideas of what I could add to employ pin 87?

Attached Files:

Ask a Question