Connect with us

CFL for closed fixture

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Diane, Jun 4, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Diane

Diane

Jun 4, 2012
    Could you advise me on what type of CFL I may use in a closed (clear glass) pendant fixture that specifies no more than 40 W incandescent bulb (normal base). Can I safely use an 11 W flame-shaped CFL? Other ideas? Thanks

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  2. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Should be fine, the heat given off and current draw are less than the incandescent 40W bulb...

3. Diane

Diane

Jun 4, 2012
    thank you and a further question

is there a stronger bulb I could safely use in the closed fixture (without hugely reducing the lifespan of the bulb)??

4. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    That is a loaded question... In general CFLs run a lot cooler overall vs incandescent bulbs, the rating on a fixtures is generally a 'heat' rating but also a current rating... So both have to be considered... The wiring if rated for a 40W incandescent will also drive a 40W CFL just fine, the heat generated by the 40W CFL should be inline with the 40W bulb (and thus generally safe) but that isn't to say that the heat generated by the 40W CFL in a confined space will not shorten the CFL's own life, it might be only a minimal or it might be a drastic decrease in bulb life...

Personally I have found most CFLs to be garbage and from my own experience they self destruct on their own well in advance of their rated life anyway...

Ask a Question