Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Certificate issue with electronicspoint.com

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
As of today I'm getting warnings from my browsers that there is an issue with the validity of the certificate for electronicspoint.com.
- the certificate has been issued for another website
or
- the certificate is not signed by a trustworthy authority
or
- the certificate is no longer or not yet valid.

In light of the recent attacks this makes me a bit nervous :(

vead

Nov 27, 2011
As of today I'm getting warnings from my browsers that there is an issue with the validity of the certificate for electronicspoint.com.
- the certificate has been issued for another website
or
- the certificate is not signed by a trustworthy authority
or
- the certificate is no longer or not yet valid.

In light of the recent attacks this makes me a bit nervous :(
yas same things happened with me . when I tried to access I got the warning message

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Just now resolved. No warning this time.

I got this message for some other websites (not all I visited), too. Maybe the issue is not with the certificate per se but with the infrastructure? Some server not responding or so.

Ian

Administrator
Aug 23, 2006
Thanks for the heads up - it looks like the control panel hadn't renewed the SSL certificate automatically, so I awoke this morning to the same alert screen. I'm working on finding out why the automatic process didn't happen, as well as adding some manual monitoring so that it doesn't happen again!

Ian

Administrator
Aug 23, 2006
It looks like I've found the issue - when the control panel renews the SSL certificate, it creates a temporary directory on the website so that the certificate authority can validate the URL. As we've got our security settings set so tightly, the directory wasn't allowed to be created, so the authorisation check failed and the SSL certificate wasn't renewed.

I've added a manual exclusion for that directory, so it should work when it tries to renew next time around. I'm also going to tweak our monitoring software to alert me to anything going wrong with SSL, as I didn't get any alerts overnight which should normally happen (as the sites are working fine, technically - but browsers will display warnings for expired certificates).

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
I was "pretty sure" it was an EP server problem, since I could access other https:// sites in a normal fashion. So, I just went to bed and waited for Ian to "fix it," which he did. Thanks, Ian, for getting on top of this so quickly! I will admit that I was tempted to bypass the security protocols while using Firefox, but given all the malware floating around out there, I decided to prudently wait until the problem was resolved instead of making an "end run" around it! Well, I did try the Micro$oft Edge browser which is a "feature" of Windows 10, but it just barfed and refused to load the errant page. So back to Firefox for one final check and then off to bed!

Reactions: Ian

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
I consider myself fortunate. I must have missed the time period of the certificate warnings. I'm already an over wound spring.

Chris