Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Central Locking Help

zed

Aug 30, 2012
Hi all, new around here but this one is sure stumping me.

I'm trying to replace a central locking control unit (from '96) with a new unit I got off ebay. It was just a cheapie, but the instructions are crap and I'm struggling to get this thing working.

Attached are some photos. I have been messing with a testing light and a multimeter and I have figured out the following:

OLD UNIT:

1. Locked position

Across red/black, red/white, red/blue, red/green 12.60V
Across red/brown 7.43V
Across black/white, black/blue, black/green 0V
Across black/brown 5.00V

2. Unlocked position

Across red/black, red/blue, red/green, red/brown 12.60V
Across red/white 7.43V
Across black/blue, black/green, black/brown 0V
Across black/white 5.00V

So, correct me if I am wrong as I am very new to this - it seems the "old" unit is wired for both "positive" and "negative" trigger? It is true that there is only the one button on this remote, so it seems to make sense. I also believe "white" is the lock signal, and "brown" is the unlock signal.

NEW UNIT

The wiring diagram contains a couple of errors. I assume for "negative trigger" the bottom wire is earthed, the one second from bottom is the unlock signal. What this means is essentially (I think) orange & orange/black don't mean anything. The lock signal is the white wire, both the yellow & yellow/black wires are attached to the earth (or power), and the unlock signal is white/black.

What I have found is that it doesn't work in that configuration for "negative trigger". But it DOES work for "positive trigger" although not fully. The actuators are moving up and down (the new remote has two buttons) but only half way. I can't figure out why it isn't operating correctly.

The problem is, it seems there are two "extra" wires here. The blue and green ones which require connection to the old unit. I'm assuming these are just lock/unlock signal probably to the rear doors - yet all of the colored wires seem to go to the front doors also. So I'm stumped. I ended up taking a stab at it and bridging the "lock" and "unlock" signal wires from the new unit between brown/green and white/blue otherwise the entire unit doesn't seem to work.

Is someone wiser than I able to help me troubleshoot this please?

Thanks for any help. :confused:

Attachments

• Wire1.jpg
    Wire1.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 179
  • Wire2.jpg
    Wire2.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 182
  • newunit.jpg
    newunit.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 194
  • oldunit.jpg