Connect with us

CELL PHONE-DEVICE COMMUNICATION

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by guilleriff, Mar 16, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. guilleriff

guilleriff

Mar 16, 2013
    Hello.

When developing devices with MCUs, button or touch keypads and LCDs are commonly used for setup the device. A cell phone has already these, so I want to use them. I've seen projects with DTMF or SMS, but one has to pay every time commands are sent. My ideas:

1. Use a bluetooth tranceiver so cell phone can send plain text with commands. Which of the newest cell phones doesn't have bluetooth? The idea is use default phone's applications to write strings of commands and send them via bluetooth.

2. Write a little java program for the phone to insert text commands into a MIDI file (is the simplest format I know). Then play the audio file trough the phone's speaker. Which phone doesn't play MIDI and doesn't have speaker?. For example, send one tone for 1's and other for 0's (FSK modulation), data could be decoded with an XR2211 IC with an electret. It would be susceptible to ambient noise but is a cheap approach.

3. Optical. But phones doesn't come with IR anymore and no every ones have a general purpose LED.

If anybody has some experience in these ideas or has another, please wellcome. If someone wants to work in parallel with me and share achievements in this idea, wellcome too.

Thank you.

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    I'd suggest you look in the app store for your phone. There may already be dozens of applications that do something like this.

3. guilleriff

guilleriff

Mar 16, 2013
    Thank you for reply, but that doesn't give any clue to the problem. I'm aware of what modern phones can do and that I can find endless of apps. Even if I find one, the problem is to implement the receiver in my device hardware that may use a PIC MCU for example. So, I want to control my developed device with any phone. Why? Because maybe LCDs or keypads doen't fit in my design or maybe because I want to make it cheaper. Greetings.

Ask a Question