Connect with us

Ceiling Fan Repair

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by Mr mikey, Aug 7, 2017.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Mr mikey

Mr mikey

Aug 7, 2017
    Ceiling fan has power (light works) but barely spins (very slow). How to fix?

2. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    Is the control set to high speed or a lower setting.?
    Choke, thyristor or capacitor speed control?

3. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    I don't know where you're at. Where I am there is a lot of dust in the air and when there is a lot of humidity, the dust collects (and builds) between the rotating motor part with the fan blades on it, and the fixed motor frame.
    I usually DISCONNECT POWER, and use a can of spray contact cleaner to blow the dust/grime out of the space
    between the two. A lot of times the grime acts as a drag on the rotating part.
    You may have a motor problem, or a circuit problem, but I'd try my fix first.

4. Minder

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
    If this is a simple shaded pole motor that is controlled by a 'dimmer' style control, connect it direct and see if it turns at normal speed, if it does, replace the dimmer, if not remove the motor and try lubricating the bearings and check it for free spin ability.
    M.

5. Minder

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
    The fan speed on an induction motor is decided by the supply frequency and No. of poles.
    The capacitor is just for 90° phase shift.
    IF it is the capacitor type and not shaded pole.
    The most common reason is the sintered bronze bearings run dry and collect dust etc.
    M.

6. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    Show a photo or 2, it will more than likely help.

Ask a Question