Connect with us

CD4027 Or 74HC73

Discussion in 'Datasheets, Manuals and Component Identification' started by ignamious, Mar 14, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. ignamious

ignamious

Mar 14, 2013
    Ok, So I've looked over both of these parts. The 74HC73 is faster at lower voltages if i'm reading this right. it's all around better however the original schematics use the CD4027.

Some background:

This is for a Stepper motor driver using only 2 pins, one for step the other for direction.

Here is a Circuit Sim Link:link

The Dataseets are:

74HC73

CD4027B

The only advantage to the 4027 i see is that it can take 15 volts. however i will only be giving it a regulated 5v.

I'm not seeing anything right? the 74HC73 will hander a higher clock speed and be able to "flip" more right?! Sorry, just want to make sure that i'm seeing this right, wondering why the original was a 40xx chip when the 74HCxxx would have been a better choice.

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    If you're using it to control a stepper motor, either will be easily fast enough.

3. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    The 4027's been around a lot longer than the 7400 series High-Speed CMOS chip.
    The original design probably used what was available at the time.

Ask a Question