Connect with us

Catching Binary through some Multimeter device

Discussion in 'Microcontrollers, Programming and IoT' started by blurgasm, Dec 6, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. blurgasm

blurgasm

Dec 6, 2013
    Hello,

I'm curious if there is any possible way to capture electrical pulses and output the binary.

I'm assuming the way televisions work with remote controls is, you press the button on the remote control and the IR reader catches and converts it to a bit of binary which gets sent to some kind of controller thing that performs a function. Would it be possible to get a device that you could hook up to the bus connected to the IR and capture any binary that goes down it. I was just curious about how hard something like this would be to achieve.

Also, I've always been interested in this kind of programming, and eventually I would like to make a Home entertainment system and program my own device and was curious about the kind of path I should go down in terms of education? I'm treating it more as a hobby rather than as a career path (My occupation is software programmer/Computer Networker).

Cheers,
    Jayson

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    The answer to the first sentence is "Yes, using some form of protocol analyser".

However, after reading your following sentences, I'm not sure you are actually asking the question you think you're asking, and my answer (although correct at some level) is probably totally useless.

What exactly are you wanting to do? Perhaps we can help you with some specific problem or question.

Oh, and welcome to ELectronics Point.

3. jpanhalt

jpanhalt

Nov 12, 2013
    If I understand, you want to detect, record, and decode the signal from an IR remote. Yes, that can be done. Here is an old thread where "AtomSoft" does that: http://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/record-signal-ir-from-pin.92470/

The thread is a little in reverse order. The OP shows a digital a capture in his first post. The circuit for getting it comes later. Finally, he describes how he picked the code apart. A logic analyzer will help you. Do you have access to one?

Although it can be done, I would not recommend doing it that way, except for the educational value. Most IR remote controls follow one of a few standards. So, knowing the brand of your device, you can probably find the code that is used by searching the Internet.

That still leaves the ultimate question: What do you want to do?

John

Ask a Question