Connect with us

Cassette Deck Help?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by hotdog123, Nov 14, 2018.

1. hotdog123

hotdog123

Nov 14, 2018
    I picked up a used cassette player and it will rewind and fast forward tapes but will not play them. Any help, Thanks..

2. Externet

Externet

Aug 24, 2009
    Does the tape advance in 'play' or still ?
    Inspect the pinch roller and its drive belt. If advances, check the audio path, amplifier, headphone insertion switch.

3. hotdog123

hotdog123

Nov 14, 2018
    cleaned it with rubbing alcohol, but will not spin when press play. it will fast forward and rewind no problem. Don't know how to check belt. Appreciate your help.

4. dave9

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
    You will have to take it apart and see if the belt is moving both pulleys it's on, or if the motor is stalling, or pinch roller not staying on, hardened rubber or broken spring, etc.

Is the player worthy of buying parts for? You might find something that works, cheap at a garage sale, craigslist, or pawn shop, or sometimes I shop for *local* (pickup) items with no reserve auctions on eBay. Last bookshelf stereo I got for $0.01... but without the remote control, which I ended up paying someone else $10 for. :p

5. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    Sounds like the belt to me, you've got good advice already from others here.
    My additional input is to use a Q-tip and some rubbing alcohol and clean the tape heads.
    The build-up on the heads is another drag on the tape travel, ... although I'm with the other guys
    here that you probably need a new belt.

Ask a Question