Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Cash Register Conversion -- Help Needed

neel

Nov 4, 2009
Hey All,

I'm a new user to this forum, but have taken some time to browse and read posts. I've done some tinkering on different electronics projects, but have come across a question I need help with.

I am trying to convert an old cash register I have been using at my business to a cash drawer I can mount under a counter in order to reclaim some countertop space. The cash register has a receipt printer, calculator display, and large housing that I want to get rid of. The only electronic function I want to keep is a button for opening the cash drawer. The drawer works with a spring in the housing and an electronic actuator that releases a bar when the open button is pressed on the keypad. What I want to do is make a simple serial circuit with a momentary pushbutton switch that will open the drawer when depressed.

Since I'm a first time poster, I can't add images, but I will follow this post with relevant pics.

I've measured 2.5~ volts AC coming out from the transformer, but cannot seem to measure what the input voltage is for the actuator. I found (and marked in the pic) the wires going to the cash drawer actuator, but cannot figure out how to find out what voltage/amperage is required to make the actuator work. As far as tools, I have been using a auto-ranging digital multimeter from Radio Shack.

I have also noticed that there is a 35v capacitor on the circuit board, as well as various resistors.

Is there a way I can figure out what voltage/amperage circuit I need to create to work only the actuator? I would like to use the old transformer if possible, but can spend the money for a new 110v transformer if required.

Thanks for the help. Please ask any questions needed if I wasn't clear or excluded information.

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
That shouldn't be much of a problem.
2.5V doesn't sound right for pretty much anything, but maybe it's for the VFD.
There are two outputs from the transformer, yellow & red. measure both.
Also measure the dc on the capacitor, and the resistance of the solenoid.
My initial guess is that it's a 24V dc solenoid, & that you can use the transformer, rectifier, & capacitor to operate it. Maybe you can use the PCB as it is. Closeup shots (both sides) will be needed for advise.
The reason you're not able to measure the voltage on the solenoid is probably that it's operated by such a short pulse that your meter doesn't have time to respond.

neel

Nov 4, 2009
Thanks for the reply.

I actually ended up finding a way to disassemble the cashbox housing without breaking it, and saw that the actuator is 24v DC. I ended up getting it to work on just the yellow output from the transformer.