Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Carpet Cleaner Circuit / Transformer

Avaman

Jul 3, 2018
Hi All,

I am not in any way clued up with regards to this, but hope I can explain the issue a little bit...

I have a carpet cleaner / washer that works fine, except the brush won't turn. I have managed to identify (I think) that the main unit (which also detaches as a hand-held wet vacuum) also powers the brush by means of 'plugging into' the main unit when it is used within it, and this power is taken through the device to the bottom where (I think) the power is converted from 240v to 15.5v, which drives a motor, which in turn rotates the brush. I think there could be an issue with the 'transformer' or the circuitry between as I believe the motor to be OK. I have a couple of pictures of [possibly] the offending part, and also the model number etc. of the device (attached).

Any advice, help on parts etc would be good! I can't really afford a new cleaner unless I have to, plus I like this one!!

Many thanks

Attachments

• IMG-20180701-WA0016.jpg
    IMG-20180701-WA0016.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG-20180701-WA0015.jpg
    IMG-20180701-WA0015.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 39

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
If you are sure the motor is low voltage and if it is DC, a test could be used on it using an automotive battery .
Disconnect the motor first.
Also check the 15vac with a meter.
M.

Avaman

Jul 3, 2018
If you are sure the motor is low voltage and if it is DC, a test could be used on it using an automotive battery .
Disconnect the motor first.
Also check the 15vac with a meter.
M.
Thanks, I will try this. :) if the motor does indeed perform, what would then need replacing ?

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
Thanks, I will try this. :) if the motor does indeed perform, what would then need replacing ?
Depends on what is between the motor and power supply, if the motor checks out then the next thing would be the 15v.
After that, any controller between the 15v and motor.
M.

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
I doubt this is an elaborate setup. You pictured a transformer. Measure whether there is the rated voltage coming out of it. I'm skeptical that they even went tot he trouble of a full bridge rectifier and capacitor, but you can look and see what is there.

If the transformer is not outputting rated voltage, no need to trace the circuit towards the motor, instead see if it has 240VAC input.

This seems like a pretty basic circuit so I have some concerns that you're going to need to probe this live. Well, not entirely live, you can do some things with power off like measure the resistance of the primary winding of the transformer, if there is an embedded thermal fuse in it that failed it will read open circuit with no power applied (too).

Otherwise, if the transformer is outputting the appropriate voltage you trace the wires, or do a continuity check between point A and B, which seems to be the connector the attachment plugs into, and so on, with the attachment connector to the point where the wiring connects to the motor.

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
Check there is a connection through the motor.
Look for a commutator, if present, check the carbon brushes.