Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Career: analog IC to ??

bryan_bjt

Jan 3, 2010
I will leave my current job soon. I am trying to figure out what to do next.
I have been working on power management IC's since 1998.

Whether to continue this line of work or jump into a cold pool is a major question.

There are about 4 alternatives:

1) Similiar job at a different company.

2) Get an application engineer job within this company. (or competitors)

3) Start my own company making niche analog signal processing products

4) Relocate and get a board level analog design position.

Other issues: Don't really want to move. I am not a major techology center.

There are some possible employers locally, but just a few.

My boss thinks my proficiency at this job is too low. I am not sure if he is right or not.

My boss was the design lead and project manager for our first product. It is way behind schedule, way over budget, does not meet critical specs, and has no customer. This is not really anyone's "fault" except maybe at the project strategy level. Some valuable IP was built that could be the basis for many products.

I was the design lead on the second project, my boss was the project manager.
It is somewhat behind schedule, which is partly my fault. It is within budget, has a customer, and meets specs that matter to that customer.

Other background:
I am thinking I need something with fewer pins coming out and more physics inside.
If I had a choice between a chip with 5000 transistors and a chip with 50 transistors, I would take the 50. One reason for this is the difference in simulators. The top level sim
for the current project is much more involved than an old fashioned pspice simulation. Much more software savyness is needed to run it. I can do this, but it is not a "forte".

At Linear Technology, my computer skills were stronger than many of the design engineers. (I was not a circuit designer there). Now maybe they are weaker than those of peers. The direction of the technology is working against me, maybe.

Would be glad to get peoples thoughts on this.

Bryan