Connect with us

Carbon film resistor?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by Ted Labender, Feb 25, 2018.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Ted Labender

Ted Labender

Feb 25, 2018
    On the electric blanket controller board, from which this component came, is marked R-20 in it's location. So I presume it is a resistor. I just don't know of this configuration. Since the cut in spiral is interrupted, that is, not contiguous, I think its a burnt up carbon film resistor. Is it, and if so, what value?

Attached Files:

2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    presumably that means you have tried to measure with a meter ?

yup most likely

whit all the markings totally gone and if your meter shows open circuit
    who knows ??

try the manufacturer :)

3. Ted Labender

Ted Labender

Feb 25, 2018
    Thanks for the speedy reply. Yes I did check it and found it open. nuts. I will look inside of other controllers and see what value this may be.

davenn likes this.
  4. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    You might be able to use a multimeter to measure from one end of the resistor to a point nearest the break of the spiral resistance track. If you do this you may be able to estimate the value of the resistor. Even better if you can do it from both ends of the resistor. Sum the values and as a bit more to allow for the missing part of the resistor.

davenn likes this.
  5. Ted Labender

Ted Labender

Feb 25, 2018
    Creative, i like it! Will try tomorrow
    thank you.

6. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    I don't recommend replacing that part AT ALL.

It's blown for a reason - not a GOOD reason either - and replacement will either re-create the original fault or cause something else, potentially more damaging, to occur.

Given the safety precautions usually advised with electric blankets you'd be far better off replacing the whole thing.

7. Ted Labender

Ted Labender

Feb 25, 2018
    Yes, then the new control would have burned out as well had I not removed the causation. It was damaged from an over volt power invertor. I am using the blanket now, but with another control. I will replace this resistor with no worries.

Ask a Question